• Register
  • Help

Topic: Haunting story...

Share/Bookmark

Question Haunting story...

Fact or fiction? There has been from time to time but not often a sighting of a little blond haired boy running in our house. Tonight, as my youngest step son and I were talking in the kitchen, a figure of a boy whisked by the opening to our family room. Trevor, my stepson, looked at me with eyes wide open and said, "There he is again!" We have come to call this little boy, Andy. Just seemed to be an appropriate name.
    Last year around Christmas, I was in my studio working on some music into the early part of the next morning. My studio door was open a bit and suddenly I felt as if someone was watching me. When I looked, Andy took off into my wife's woodworking room. I quickly took up chase but he was no where to be found. I am now doing an investigation of all the past families that ever lived in this house.
    Fact or Fiction? Do ghost really exist? Or is it just a pigment of the immigration? And, how come spellcheck doesn't woik?
    Styxx

Re: Haunting story...

My opinion:
    Do ghosts exists? No.
    Are people inately suggestible and do they they frequently think they have seen things they haven't? Yes.
    Fact or fiction you ask. Neither. Illusion? Delusion? The mind is complex and mysterious. Personally I feel the explanation lies there. Plus some people just make stuff up for a laugh.

I'm not sure. I've never had an ghostly experiences myself, and I certainly don't believe all the stories in the media, but I had a great aunt (who died when I was really young) who lived with her parents until they died. After they died, my aunt kept living in the house, and claimed to be quite comfortable because she talked to her parents. When she had guests, they found out what she was talking about . . . the house was occasionally visited by her parents. It might have been just psychological weirdness, but it's still kind of creepy.

Somewhere in Tennessee, where my father grew up, there's a graveyard. If you drive around in there at night in the fog, the car's headlights reflect off of some of the gravestones, and it makes it look like ghosts rushing passed the car, and it looks pretty convincing! It scares young ones to death.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I don't actually know whether you are joking or lying. Assuming you're not:
    From my point of view, 4 people are saying that something extremely unusual happened. There are two main possibilities. Either it happened, or 4 people share a delusion that it happened. I do a bit of research and I find that shared delusions are relatively commonplace, whereas levitation is not something that has ever been observed under controlled conditions. It seems like the most likely explanation is the shared delusion.
    The third possibility is that someone knowingly tricked you. There are any number of way an object can be made to appear like it's floating. This may seem unlikely but many, many documented examples of supernatural phenomena are just down to pranksters.
    I've done it myself. In an attempt to debunk this stuff I made a book fly off a shelf in front of a group of people. My original intention was to say 'See, that's how easy it is to fool people', but I'm afraid I got slightly seduced by the power I had to make people believe in the impossible. I didn't let on for days how I 'd done it. One girl flatly refused to believe that I faked it until I showed her how it was done and did it again. Even then she said it looked more fake the second time. As far as she is concerned a poltergeist made a book fly off a shelf, and a few days later I crudely tried to recreate it with nylon filament. I know I did both, but I can't convince her.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Palomar
    I don't actually know whether you are joking or lying. Assuming you're not:
    From my point of view, 4 people are saying that something extremely unusual happened. There are two main possibilities. Either it happened, or 4 people share a delusion that it happened. I do a bit of research and I find that shared delusions are relatively commonplace, whereas levitation is not something that has ever been observed under controlled conditions. It seems like the most likely explanation is the shared delusion.
    The third possibility is that someone knowingly tricked you. There are any number of way an object can be made to appear like it's floating. This may seem unlikely but many, many documented examples of supernatural phenomena are just down to pranksters.
    I've done it myself. In an attempt to debunk this stuff I made a book fly off a shelf in front of a group of people. My original intention was to say 'See, that's how easy it is to fool people', but I'm afraid I got slightly seduced by the power I had to make people believe in the impossible. I didn't let on for days how I 'd done it. One girl flatly refused to believe that I faked it until I showed her how it was done and did it again. Even then she said it looked more fake the second time. As far as she is concerned a poltergeist made a book fly off a shelf, and a few days later I crudely tried to recreate it with nylon filament. I know I did both, but I can't convince her.
    I'm with you on this MrPalomar. My father in law is a staunch believer in crop circles. (You can tell him, show him how they are produced by pranksters but he still believes! He is also staunchly religious. Some folk need to believe to get through life. I don't believe in any of this stuff but I am still prepared to, when I see/have some proof.

Frank

PS Only my opinion....and take heart I'm not usually right!

Go Back to forum