• Register
  • Help

Topic: Suggestions for optimal GPO set-up?

Suggestions for optimal GPO set-up?

I currently am using Sibelius/GPO on Mac PowerBook G4(titanium) with a Tascam US-122 sound card.

I'm thinking of getting an iMac G5 desktop and am wondering should I just put everything on the one computer, or is there a way of say using Sibelius on the laptop and GPO on the desktop?

I'm not sure if there's any performance advantage in doing things in this way. I suppose having everything on one machine has the advantage of simplicity.

I hear all these great GPO demos and wonder what sort of configurations are being used.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Suggestions for optimal GPO set-up?

The iMac G5 will handle GPO much better than your powerbook, one thing to keep in mind is that you will want at least a gig of ram to get the most out of Sibelius/GPO and that adds about $225 to the price of the iMac. I also recommend the 1.8 GHz iMac over the 1.6 as more speed is always better.

I use a dual 1.8 G5 tower and love it.
    Aaron Clark, C/C++, J2EE, Flash, Perl and PHP programming.
    Logic Pro 7.0.1, G5 1800x2, 3 Gig ram, GPO and GOS lite.
    My site: http://www.clarkaudio.com
    Where I work now: http://www.blinex.com/

You get two authorizations with any NI-powered product like GPO, so you can leave it on your laptop and also have it installed on the G5. I have GPO installed on a PowerBook and a Shuttle PC. The PC does the heavy lifting when I'm at home but on the road I can still get plenty of stuff accomplished with just the PowerBook.

Thanks -

I've also wondered whether I should get a dual but the iMac's are tempting if only for the little bit space they occupy in one's living room.

I have to think the 1.8 gHz with 2 gigs of RAM will be adequate. My 1gHz G4 with 1 gig of RAM does pretty well unless I try to get too many instruments going(string sections & soloists.) My impression is that this limitation results mostly from having too little RAM(?) or maybe it's a combination of factors.

Anyway thanks again for your input.

Go Back to forum