• Register
  • Help

Topic: pizz to arco in finale?

Share/Bookmark

Question pizz to arco in finale?

I'm using GPO with Finale 2004 (on a macintosh G4 with OSX) and I want my strings to stop playing pizzicato and start playing arco instead. So how do I get that to happen in playback using GPO?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!
    Erika

Re: pizz to arco in finale?

In the original version of GPO you would need to split your Finale string staves into 2 staves. One staff for arco playing, another staff for pizz. Put them on separate midi channels and load both string patches.

This probably seems archaic, but don't worry, things are about to change for the better.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Turner
    In the original version of GPO you would need to split your Finale string staves into 2 staves.
    There's actually a better way to go about this. You can assign different patches to different layers. Usually, in my Finale file, I'll assign layer 1 of each string line to an arco sound on one channel, and layer 3 to a pizzicato sound on a different channel. This works pretty well in a General MIDI setup, such as I use when I'm just inputting notes. I haven't tried it with GPO yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    There's actually a better way to go about this. You can assign different patches to different layers. Usually, in my Finale file, I'll assign layer 1 of each string line to an arco sound on one channel, and layer 3 to a pizzicato sound on a different channel. This works pretty well in a General MIDI setup, such as I use when I'm just inputting notes. I haven't tried it with GPO yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.
    One other way to do it, and the way I do it is to set up a channel change, have the arco string on, say, channel 1, and then set up a pizz. expression that changes to channel 2, where I have the pizz string instrument. It's worked very well for me.

Tim
    Timothy Rolls, DMA
    Assistant Professor of Music Theory/Composition/Technology
    Fort Hays State University

It will work this way, but I need to warn you that Finale won't let you alter midi data (i.e. mod wheel and other expressions) in any other layer but layer 1. You CAN change it, but it just won't play it back right in any other layer but layer one.
    I have Finale 2004 for Mac and had a lot of problems with this until I tried another way - and that is to create expressions that change midi channels. That works as well as anything you need.
    But if you need to have two layers playing at the same time, each using a different patch to play through, be warned that while both patches will playback, layer one is the only one that will retain any mod-wheel data or other expression data.
    If you create expressions that change the midi channel, (easy to do) you don't have to switch to other layers and your expression data will playback correctly using all your expression data.
    They may have corrected this in version 2005, but I never received any feedback from Make Music! tech support when writing them about the problem.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks for pointing this out. I only use playback in Finale for proofing purposes, so I've never gone into the playback functions as deeply as you seem to have done. This will probably be useful information to have.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thanks for pointing this out. I only use playback in Finale for proofing purposes, so I've never gone into the playback functions as deeply as you seem to have done. This will probably be useful information to have.
    No Problem!

I too use Finale for proofing as well, but before I got into learning software sequencers more, I used Finale as my sole playback method and had to get very resourceful in order to get the results that I wanted. (still not 100%, but it was better than earlier versions)

I now use Finale as a composing tool, a general playback tool and I then export my Finale file as a midi file and then into Cubase SX for the polishing and nuances. Certain things are much easier to do for me in Finale - I like SEEING the score, but editing midi data is SUCH a pain in Finale - that is where Cubase comes in! It is sooo easy to "draw" in the CC data. Something you CAN do in Finale, but really is a laborious and VERY repetitive process.

So, I use each program's strengths for a nice finished piece. I have a nice score to work with for real musicians, (much better than anything the software sequencers can produce - imo) and a nice audio recording of that piece.
    This is just how I work at it. I am sure each of you all have the little tricks and nonensense that help things go smoothly for your creative work. OBVIOUSLY - Your awesome music bears that out!

Wow - I didn't mean that to be so long! Sorry

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!

This is pretty much the way I work (except I use Sonar). I am hoping that someday an application will come along with the notational abilities of Finale and the MIDI editing capabilities of Sonar. Maybe in ten years or so...
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Do any of use guys use cubase score in SX? Has it any limitations in your view. If you worked with SX score then everything would be in house for one program.
    Ive got my eye on Sibelius, but so far SX score seems to be handling all jobs - what's the advantages?

Thanks all

Smile Re: pizz to arco in finale?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroZero
    Do any of use guys use cubase score in SX? Has it any limitations in your view. If you worked with SX score then everything would be in house for one program.
    Ive got my eye on Sibelius, but so far SX score seems to be handling all jobs - what's the advantages?

Thanks all
    Hey ZeroZero,

I find that the score editor in Cubase SX, while it technically CAN do pretty much what you want, is VERY awkward and requires a LOT of editing compared to what the notation software titles like Sibelius or Finale offer as far as score preraration and printing. I am a Finale guy personally, so I am a little biased in my assesment, but I know that the score editing was so awkward for me in Cubase SX, that I didn't even bother really discovering it. I just went back to what I was the most comfortable using. I guess that is just being lazy. I am sure that if you learned only Cubase SX, you probably would be able to do things pretty fast in the score editor. You can download demos of each of the titles you are interested in - get to know them VERY well. You will be better able to make an informed decision. And that decision will be the best for your personal work/creative methods and practices.

Good luck!

Jerry

My Website!
    New Film Scores!

Go Back to forum