• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: MIDI sequencing software with low CPU/RAM needs?

Share/Bookmark

OT: MIDI sequencing software with low CPU/RAM needs?

I just inherited an old laptop from my in-laws (well, I guess "inherited" is the wrong word, as they didn't die or anything, they just upgraded to a new laptop), and it's an old one (1998, I think) with Windows 95 on it and 25 MB of RAM. If nothing else, I'll use it for writing some Word docs, but I'm wondering if there's any MIDI sequencing/editing software out there that could actually run on this thing. I don't care about the sounds being any good, but sometimes I do some tweaking of MIDI parts and drum patterns and it can get tedious, so the laptop would be nice to do some of that on. Maybe an old tracker program? I don't know... I got into the MIDI game kind of late, so I'm sure somebody was using something a few years back on a laptop like this, and I'd like to know what it is. Suffice to say that Sonar 4 with GPO isn't going to run on this!

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Re: OT: MIDI sequencing software with low CPU/RAM needs?

If Computer Music Magazine is still offering a copy of Muzys software on their monthly disk, that might be the answer for you. It has a lot of features and is of a surprisingly high quality. Buy the mag, get the software free.

Dennis Burton

Hey Shaz,

Just buy Logic 7 and apply some platform conversion software... just kidding .

Before I got my first sequencer, I was looking around at stuff like this:

http://www.sonicspot.com/anvilstudio/anvilstudio.html

It might be worth a try for getting the MS GM sounds running.

Hey, that Anvil thing just might do the trick. I'll give it a shot.

I'd read about Muzys before on the Tracktion forum. Is it really that minimal as far as the resources it needs?

Thanks.
    Shaz
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

Hey, Shazbot.

I encountered a similar situation years ago. I found an old version (version 1 or 3, can't remember) of Cakewalk, back in the days when it was MIDI only. Although I don't remember where I came up with it, I'll bet if you Googled / Ebayed you could find someone who would be glad to get a couple of bucks for what's now considered "obsolete" software. Personally, I've always felt Cakewalk was much better before they started adding audio and making it into something it wasn't. Hope this helps.

Nanu nanu,
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shazbot
    I'm wondering if there's any MIDI sequencing/editing software out there that could actually run on this thing.
    I started MIDI sequencing some years ago with http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/
    It's pure MIDI, simple and stable.
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Hey, Shazbot.

I encountered a similar situation years ago. I found an old version (version 1 or 3, can't remember) of Cakewalk, back in the days when it was MIDI only. Although I don't remember where I came up with it, I'll bet if you Googled / Ebayed you could find someone who would be glad to get a couple of bucks for what's now considered "obsolete" software. Personally, I've always felt Cakewalk was much better before they started adding audio and making it into something it wasn't. Hope this helps.

Nanu nanu,
    Yep - Cakewalk 3.0 had it since the early Pentium days! Ran great on my 486! Still have the floppies.... If you've got a synth to hook it up to, you're talking LOW RAM & CPU usage! Softsynths require more horsepower.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

I'd read about Muzys before on the Tracktion forum. Is it really that minimal as far as the resources it needs?

Thanks.
    Shaz

I just checked my full version on my computer. It's using 7.48 megs. The guy who developed the software is no longer supporting it, but he has moved on to a collaborative situation with some other sequencing software. (the rumor is 'Tracktion'). Simple program to run, and with it I have no need to use the Personal Orchestra Studio. The Computer Music magazine version is reduced, but, if I remember correctly, it will handle 6 VST's. Very good midi control.

Dennis Burton

Quote Originally Posted by sandden1
    The Computer Music magazine version is reduced, but, if I remember correctly, it will handle 6 VST's.
    Unfortunately, those 6 are not multi-timbral - there are no restrictions on external hardware midi devices however.

However....

Windows 95 and 25Mb RAM
    Despite it's minimal req''s I'm almost certain that 25Mb is not enough, nevermind Win95....

Come to think of it, an old version of Cubase AV would be perfect if you could find one...
    Last edited by Ash F; 10-17-2004 at 04:41 PM. Reason: correction

I just inherited an old laptop from my in-laws (well, I guess "inherited" is the wrong word, as they didn't die or anything, they just upgraded to a new laptop), and it's an old one (1998, I think) with Windows 95 on it and 25 MB of RAM.
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Shaz
    If you can find an obsolete version of Cakewalk 5 or 7, you ought to be able to use it. I ran Cakewalk 5 on an old Texas Instruments laptop, work fine.

Richard Wayland

Go Back to forum