• Register
  • Help

Topic: AH I'm so confused!

Share/Bookmark

Question AH I'm so confused!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I'm trying to get all this political stuff straightened out in my head so I'll know how to vote come November. Right now, we have one guy saying one thing. Then the other guy says something else. Who to believe? Lemme see; have I got this straight?

Clinton awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Yugoslavia - good...
    Bush awards Halliburton no-bid contract in Iraq - bad...

Clinton spends 77 billion on war in Serbia - good...
    Bush spends 87 billion in Iraq - bad...

Clinton imposes regime change in Serbia - good...
    Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Clinton bombs Christian Serbs on behalf of Muslim Albanian
    terrorists-good...
    Bush liberates 25 million from a genocidal dictator - bad...

Clinton bombs Chinese embassy - good...
    Bush bombs terrorist camps - bad...

Clinton commits felonies while in office - good...
    Bush lands on aircraft carrier in jumpsuit - bad...

No mass graves found in Serbia - good...
    No WMD found Iraq - bad...

Stock market crashes in 2000 under Clinton - good...
    Economy on upswing under Bush - bad...

Clinton refuses to take custody of Bin Laden - good...
    World Trade Centers fall under Bush - bad...

Clinton says Saddam has nukes - good...
    Bush says Saddam has nukes - bad...

Clinton calls for regime change in Iraq - good...
    Bush imposes regime change in Iraq - bad...

Terrorist training in Afghanistan under Clinton - good...
    Bush destroys training camps in Afghanistan - bad...

Milosevic not yet convicted - good...
    Saddam turned over for trial - bad...

Ahh, it's so confusing!

Every year an independent tax watchdog group analyzes the average tax burden on Americans, and then calculates the "Tax Freedom Day". This is the day after which the money you earn goes to you, not the government.
    This year, tax freedom day was April 11th. That's the earliest it has been since 1991. It's latest day ever was May 2nd, which occurred in 2000. Notice anything special about those dates?

Recently, John Kerry gave a speech in which he claimed Americans are actually paying more taxes under Bush, despite the tax cuts. He gave no explanation and provided no data for this claim.

Another interesting fact: Both George Bush and John Kerry are wealthy men. Bush owns only one home, his ranch in Texas. Kerry owns 4 mansions, all worth several million dollars. (His ski resort home in Idaho is an old barn brought over from Europe in pieces. Not your average A-frame).

Bush paid $250,000 in taxes this year; Kerry paid $90,000. Does that sound right? The man who wants to raise your taxes obviously has figured out a way to avoid paying his own.
    I do not regret the things I've done, but those I was unable to do.

Re: AH I'm so confused!

You must not be paying very close attention to what goes on here. Nobody is saying Clinton good, Bush bad on these topics. The only one making comparisons with Clinton are right wingers like you, who don't have anything good to say about your candidate.

I know I keep harping on this, but your list is merely a BLACK-AND-WHITE look at each of these issues. No detail. No nuance. And as Kerry said in the last debate, things aren't ever as simple as the Republican Party would like us to believe.

On some of those issues, I supported Clinton, on others I didn't. The difference between the right and the left is that we believe in analysing each issue individually, weighing the pros and cons, then deciding whether or not we'll support it. The right on the other hand, simply comes out with talking points, then searches for "facts" to support those points.

It's a fundamental difference in the way we deal with the world. So making your little list is pointless. It doesn't in any way reflect our thinking. It only reflects YOURS.

Yes, well..that is of course if you entirely ignore the fact that Kerry has been in the senate for near 20 years and there is a voting record, and record of position that Kerry has in regards to all these "bad" things.

Despite diversions otherwise, Kerry the candidate for president...is the same Kerry who was a senator all these years.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

yawn.

Yup, detail is everything. Superficiality is misleading. Take the first issue: Haliburton (which I actually held stock in for a while, many years ago). Clinton has no family ties to Haliburton. Cheney and Haliburton? Well, I rest my case.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by žeth
    Another interesting fact: Both George Bush and John Kerry are wealthy men. Bush owns only one home, his ranch in Texas. Kerry owns 4 mansions, all worth several million dollars. (His ski resort home in Idaho is an old barn brought over from Europe in pieces. Not your average A-frame).

Bush paid $250,000 in taxes this year; Kerry paid $90,000. Does that sound right? The man who wants to raise your taxes obviously has figured out a way to avoid paying his own.
    Actually, John Kerry himself is not that wealthy (on his own, as a US Senator). The mansions you mention and his current wealth are primarily due to his marriage to Teresa Heinz - joint property. When he joked he "married up", he wasn't kidding!!

With regards to their income taxes, who knows the "real story"? I am sure that the Heinz' tax lawyers have earned their fees. On the Bush side, who is to say that there aren't a large amount of assets that are being held by George Sr.?

When Bush's presidency is over, he will easily be able to make up any taxes he has paid -- probably the Saudis will invest in one of his businesses again.

Quote Originally Posted by dcornutt
    Despite diversions otherwise, Kerry the candidate for president...is the same Kerry who was a senator all these years.
    And all I can say is thank God. His record over those 20 years is infinitely better than the disaster Bush has given us in barely three and a half.

Go Back to forum