• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO VST - Sonar 3.11 problems in piano roll

Share/Bookmark

Angry GPO VST - Sonar 3.11 problems in piano roll

I now realize that I cannot change the cc data under "control" on the piano roll when using the vst version of gpo. The DXi has no problems popping up the CC channels to pick from. Is this just some kind of bug that I had not realized all of this time (from using DXi version) or is there a simple fix? It seems almost as if Sonar wants to lock up when I try to select the dropdown menu under control with the vst. It doesn't lock up though - just freezes for a second or two and then shows "0" as the only choice. Hopefully someone can help me out on this.

Re: GPO VST - Sonar 3.11 problems in piano roll

Quote Originally Posted by jkerr
    I now realize that I cannot change the cc data under "control" on the piano roll when using the vst version of gpo. The DXi has no problems popping up the CC channels to pick from. Is this just some kind of bug that I had not realized all of this time (from using DXi version) or is there a simple fix? It seems almost as if Sonar wants to lock up when I try to select the dropdown menu under control with the vst. It doesn't lock up though - just freezes for a second or two and then shows "0" as the only choice. Hopefully someone can help me out on this.

Well, I have Sonar 2.2, and do not find your problem. I can't test it with the demo version of Sonar 3 because my computer is a trifle underpowered for this version. But you might also check the Cakewalk forums for comments on this. Is the problem GPO specific?

Richard Wayland

Just type in the controller number--1, 20, 64 in the 2nd dropdown list area where the number and controller name appears. No "#-Name" is displayed with the VST, only with the DXi, and then, only "CC: #"
    Bill

I will try and see......I appreciate the quick replies. If it does not fix, I am going to throw Sonar out my window and buy the new v8 of Samplitude at the end of the month I guess. I am sick of all of the crashes (and my computer & drivers are all up-to-date and running pristinely until cakewalk's vst wrapper gets in the mix).

Sorry to vent, but I am having a stressful time maintaining a professional recording environment with all of the crashes).

No luck. It won't even let me change the number "0." Sonar has just lost my support unless this is a gpo bug - in which Sonar still lost my support for just being "in the mix of things" when this last problem arose. If there are any more suggestions, I will be glad to try them though. I am not being completely impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by jkerr
    No luck. It won't even let me change the number "0." Sonar has just lost my support unless this is a gpo bug - in which Sonar still lost my support for just being "in the mix of things" when this last problem arose. If there are any more suggestions, I will be glad to try them though. I am not being completely impossible.
    Silly question perhaps. Are you loading GPO Studio before Sonar? If not, some peculiar things are going to happen.

I have experienced similar frustrations, and sure wish I could offer more help. Sometimes some apparently unrelated item is the cause.

I still expect that someone here will have the answer soon.

Richard Wayland

Annoying, but easy to work around in the piano roll's controllers pane:

1) Click on the drop down box and select 'Control' (you only need to do this step once).

2) Click in the box underneath that (it must highlight the current value).

3) Type '1' (or another value)

4) Then Click outside the box, I use the displayed piano keys for that

I suspect that the VST does not make available to the host application (Sonar) a valid set of data for the CC/RPN/NRPN's and Sonar does not handle it correctly thru it's interface and VST adapter. The DXI version also does not seem to provide data but Sonar handles that differently and doesn't seem to have the interface bug for this.

The GPO uses a version of Kontakt for it's engine and since Kontakt is not a predefined "hardware like" synth it has no real presets for MIDI control (except for a few basics like Volume, Pan, Sustain). It's up to the user/sound programmer to program the patches to handle other MIDI controllers. These can be setup anyway that someone wants and there does not appear to be a way to provide to a host application the list of controllers used (although this would be a cool feature for Kontakt to have!).

-- Bob

>>>>
    4) Then Click outside the box, I use the displayed piano keys for that
    <<<<

That was my fault. I think I did everything but click outside the box. It works now. It is annoying though. Thanks for all of the advice!

This is an interesting problem and/or solution. I've run into the same thing and it does work to manually put the controller number either in Piano Roll View or Track view. Then the controller seems to work. If you get a chance take a look at my other posting titled Some help with expressiveness. Maybe someone has some ideas to help with the problems I'm seeing when running GPO Studio on a separate machine then my Sonar application.

Thanks,
    Steve

Go Back to forum