• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Big Playback Problems

Share/Bookmark

Big Playback Problems

Okay, I am having no luck whatsoever using GPO as a plug-in. In Finale, if I have more than three staffs, the playback sounds really distorted (like static). When I try to use it in Pro Tools, I can have two tracks with different GPO instruments in them, then if I try to add a third, when I hit play I get an error message saying it's running out of CPU power and I need to remove RTAS plug ins or increase CPU usage. I've tried increasing the CPU usage, but I keep getting the same message. I'm baffled. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?
    I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to throw my computer out the window. Maybe it's better to just compose with a quill pen and parchment after all... That being said, any alternative suggestions will be appreciated.

Erika

Re: Big Playback Problems

Quote Originally Posted by Harpiegirl
    Okay, I am having no luck whatsoever using GPO as a plug-in. In Finale, if I have more than three staffs, the playback sounds really distorted (like static). When I try to use it in Pro Tools, I can have two tracks with different GPO instruments in them, then if I try to add a third, when I hit play I get an error message saying it's running out of CPU power and I need to remove RTAS plug ins or increase CPU usage. I've tried increasing the CPU usage, but I keep getting the same message. I'm baffled. Has anyone else had this problem? Am I doing something wrong?
    I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to throw my computer out the window. Maybe it's better to just compose with a quill pen and parchment after all... That being said, any alternative suggestions will be appreciated.

Erika
    Well, it would probably be useful to know your computer system, including sound card.

Without such information, my thought is that you should investigate latency, buffers, effects such as reverb. Start with no effects. Set latency to 50, buffers to 512. In the ambience window, set quality to 50% or less. It also seems imperative to have the very latest drivers for your sound card, especially if you are using any model of SoundBlaster. Even if you just bought the card, check for driver updates!!

I am sure that there will be more suggestsions soon. So don't pitch the computer just yet.

Richard Wayland

I believe you have a Mac?

One of the things I had to do was to lower the sample rate in GPO studio. it is defaulted at 44,100. I would change it to a lower rate, depending upon how many instruments you are needing. If I am going to use a LOT of instruments, I have to go down to 19,200 or something. This decreases the quality of the sound somewhat, so do it with caution, but if you are just wanting it to playback to hear it all together, this is the best and quickest way. If you are doing it for a final recording or something you want to be high quality, you would be best to keep it at full resolution and record each track (instrument) in ProTools separately as AUDIO. That way you won't be taxing the processor nearly as much as playing back sampler data.

I use Powerbook G4 667 with 520 megs ram, and when I reduce the rate to 19,200 I can playback on a LOT of instruments, but that is just to help me hear how things sound together, I do the higher quality stuff at home on my iMac G4.

Just my 2 cents.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Thanks, guys. Yeah, I have a mac G4 with a gig of ram and dual processors. I don't think I should be having this problem. I'm only using three instruments before the distortion starts in Finale, and the error windows start in ProTools. That doesn't seem like that many! I tried what you suggested, Jerry, changing it to a lower sample rate, but GPO wouldn't let me play pizz strings at anything lower than 44100 for some reason.

I'm more concerned about it not working in Pro Tools than I am Finale, actually -- I have a school assignment due on Wednesday and I have to record this music I wrote. You mentioned recording each instrument in ProTools separately as audio. How do I do that?

Erika

Well, I just noticed a posting in another thread that might be related. Can you set project buffers and track buffers separately? If they are different, that could be a problem of the sort you describe.

Richard Wayland

Well, Erika, I am not 100% sure on how to do that, only that it can be done. Maybe Jeff Turner, who uses ProTools can be of help there. I think you have to set up the input source for the new audio track in PT as routed from GPO studio. (but again, I am not exactly sure how to do this. )
    When you say that Pizz strings don't want to play at any rate lower than 44,100, what do you mean? That they won't even sound at any lower resolutions? I don't have a problem playing it back with Finale on my little powerbook, (at the low resolutions) but then again, your focus is getting things to work within ProTools.

Sorry I am not more help. I know there are others who use Sonar or Cubase that record each track as an audio track, but I am not really as familiar with exactly how.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Erika,

Make sure you check out the ProTools info on Garritan's website.
    http://www.garritan.com/PT-GPOtutorial.html

I also use Finale (Mac) and GPO Studio for quick mockups. For more detailed work I export the midi from Finale and import it into ProTools. Create Aux tracks in ProTools with GPO plugins. Route your midi out into the aux in for playback. I'm only running a 550mhz Powerbook with a gig of ram. Depending on what instruments I'm using, the most instruments I've ever been able to run at one time is 8. I get the same performance when running GPO Studio without ProTools, so I'm viewing that as being limited by my processor speed, not related to ProTools.

In ProTools Playback Engine, try adjusting the hardware buffer and DAE buffer sizes for better performance.

Once you've maxed out your instrument playback in ProTools (before clipping occurs) create audio tracks and bus the output of your aux track into the input of your audio tracks. Once that's done, delete the aux tracks with the GPO plugins. Keep the midi track though in case you need to revise any track. You can also "make selective tracks inactive" to free up resources.

And be sure to download the new update. You mentioned that you have dual processors. DFD might help you also.

Good Luck,
    Jeff

Erika,

You are not alone. I have a dual 1 Ghz G4 with 2 Gb of ram and can not do much without sound problem. Unfortunately I don´t have a sequencer but only works with Finale. It´s very sad when one can´t use such splendid program as GPO as you like.

I tried lowering the rate to 19200 but then the woodwinds stopped playing.

Björn

Make sure you are loading only the dry instruments. The wet instruments will tend to drive your CPU to the ground with even just a few instruments loaded. Things will work much better for you if you use all dry with a single reverb as a send effect in your sequencer.
    If you are using a notation program, rather than a sequencer, the reverb send effect is essentially automatic and built-in to GPO Studio; it is Ambience reverb in this case. With GPO Studio, the best way to improve playback (when you have trouble) and to allow more instruments to be loaded, is to go to the Ambience, and change the CPU/quality to something much lower than 100%. I find I can use as low as 5% while still sounding basically ok, and this will really tend to save CPU power and thereby help you with loading more instruments.

For myself I have only used dry instruments and been fiddling around with the reverb but I still have the playback problems.

Björn

Go Back to forum