• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar and Gigastudio streamlined?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar and Gigastudio streamlined?

This is a plea to all those Gstudio gurus out there that use Sonar with GS.

Could you give me some tips on using the two together? I feel like I\'m missing a lot of things. I struggle just to get them to work together.

The kind of tips I\'m looking for is something along the line of \"did you know that you can...\"

A few specific questions as well. Is it possible for Sonar to detect what patches are loaded in GS and display them in the track view?

Also, what is the best way to save GS settings to go along with Sonar files? I\'ve been saving as .gsp files, but it would seem there is a better way.

Any and all hints and tips are welcome.

Re: Sonar and Gigastudio streamlined?

Did you know you can

go to Giga DSP screen and assign a channel\'s Aux slider to \'91 Effects Depth\' and then control that slider using the Reverb slider located on the track (corresponding to that channel) in Sonar\'s Console view.

Same can be done with the Chorus slider in Sonar\'s console...but in Giga you have to assign a channel\'s aux slider to \'93 Effects depth\'

Other things.....gsp files are the only way I know to save Giga studio settings. Sonar settings are saved as templates...what else are you looking to save between the two softwares?

I have not found a way to create quick templates to see the sound names loaded in Giga in Sonar. You would have to create an instrument for each performance loaded in Giga. I just have Sonar setup with patch numbers in the format that matches Giga (0-127) for the Giga channels. I save a performance in Giga for each song I work on. This seems faster to me than to have to create instruments for each new performance. I find each performance in Giga is specific to that song because of the amount of sounds I can load. some songs even use multiple performances because I can\'t fill all the sounds in memory. Many times I\'ll have separate performances for strings, percussion, harp, woodwinds and brass in just one song. I will then bounce these down to audio tracks in Sonar so I can record more parts than what I have memory for.

Hope this makes sense.

That totally makes sense. That\'s essentially what I\'m doing now.

Wouldn\'t it be great if Cakewalk and Tascam would get together and make some way of communicating between the two programs so that instruments in Giga would be listed in Sonar? Am I the only one who sees this as a great possibility?

Hey Guys,

I\'m thinking of doing the move to Sonar from PA9, and my main concern is: Is there a way to get real time DirectX effects routing GigaStudio output to Sonar on the go? If so, how do you guys do it?
    I\'ve been struggling for a while looking for a way to do it with Cakewalk, but either there\'s no easy way, or I\'m too green to figure it out [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

Ruben

There is a way to do it, though it takes a lot of cpu power. I\'ve done it before, but can\'t remember the details until I actually physically do it and then write down what I did. I will go through the process a little later, then explain here. I have to go to work right now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Vertigo50:
    There is a way to do it, though it takes a lot of cpu power. I\'ve done it before, but can\'t remember the details until I actually physically do it and then write down what I did. I will go through the process a little later, then explain here. I have to go to work right now. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gimme, Gimme, Gimme!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Im still new with Sonar also , But from what I understand.
    Sonar has the ability to run realtime DXI AUDIO effects, but there is no way to asign those effects to giga studio because it sees giga studio samples as midi , and the midi effects that are avalible are very limited midi effects , I dont even think the midi effects are realtime.
    I have Sonar 1.0 and the only way do achieve what you want to do is convert giga studio samples to a wave and play back in Sonar as a wave .

I think maybe in the future these sequencer programs will be able to play DXI effects on midi instruments , just like you can with audio tracks.

Go Back to forum