• Register
  • Help

Topic: Legato vs. bow stroke up/down?

Legato vs. bow stroke up/down?

While I'm still waiting for my copy of Sonar 4 PE before I will really start to use GPO I have one question about the use of the pedal.

The pedal is used for legato AND for bow stroke up and down. This seems a contradiction to me... Seems to me that when you want legato you DON'T want to go from a bow stroke up to a bow stroke down! How does this work...? I can't find the info in the manual.
    The only thing I can think of is that to get legato you press and HOLD the pedal when you go from one note to another (play note > press and hold pedal > play next note > release pedal) and to change the bow stroke direction you press the pedal while playing a note and release it just before letting go of that one and playing the next note... (play note > press pedal and let go > play next note) or something like that...

Am I right or wrong? If I'm wrong, then how does it work...?

Re: Legato vs. bow stroke up/down?

yes, both are true.
    pedal works both for legato AND downbow, but only for solo string instrument.
    maybe tom could explain a bit more...
    but in the new update you will probably find some other useful option and playing technique... the waiting is almost over, so be patient! :-)

Most questions like this have been covered in detail before on the forum. Use the "search" function to find those threads. Usually, if you use my name in the search you will find the answer you need. In this case, searching under something like "alternating bow strokes" should lead you to many threads on the subject. Here's some info from one of those threads:

In keeping with the GPO philosophy of using programming techniques wherever possible in place of separate samples, the solo strings work as follows: The legato function is accomplished by using two layers of samples and switching between them with the sustain pedal. The first layer (pedal up) includes the complete attack portion of the sample. Think of this as the downbow. The second layer (pedal down) uses the same samples but eliminates the attack portion of the samples and begins playback at a point after the wave has reached its plateau. A small envelope is applied to the start point of these samples. When the sustain pedal is depressed this gives a very smooth (legato) transition between notes. Now, it so happens that the envelope chosen for the start point of the second layer samples has been designed to also closely resemble the slope characteristics of an upbow. So, not only does it function as a smooth transition slope for legato mode but it also can be used as a contrasting upbow to the first layer’s downbow. So, if you alternate pedal positions from note to note you will get the effect of alternating bow strokes – thus killing two birds with one stone, so to speak! And both birds are illusions. There is no conflict if you are using both section and solo strings in a legato setting since the pedal is then being used in identical fashion for both section and solo strings.

Also, considerable information is located at the Garritan site in the form of explanations, tips, tutorials, etc. in the Support section.

P.S. The new update will give keyswitch choices that allow the user to switch between automatically alternating up and downbows, upbows only, and downbows only.

Calgary, AB, Canada

EEK! Now I need foot pedals too?? I only have a crummy 16-year-old MIDI controller (the original Roland PC-200) with no foot pedal options.

I don't want my composition to be substandard because I can't access certain sound options!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    EEK! Now I need foot pedals too?? I only have a crummy 16-year-old MIDI controller (the original Roland PC-200) with no foot pedal options.
    You can draw in the CC#64 data in your sequencer, or you may be able to remap another controller. In the long run, you'll get the most out of GPO with a modern keyboard like those made by Evolution or M-audio that have lots of assignable knobs and sliders.

Go Back to forum