• Register
  • Help

Topic: Downloadable samples - How Big?

Share/Bookmark

Question Downloadable samples - How Big?

Our new section with downloadable samples will soon open. This means that you, after you have bought the samples, can download them directly!
    Now, I would like to ask the forum on what maximum size the instruments can be and still interesting to download.
    A lot have to do with how fast connection you have I suppose, but I suppose that there is a limit on what you would would be able to download.
    So, let's hear it!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Re: Downloadable samples - How Big?

Wow!!! Great effort.

Hope you the best results.

To answer to your question, I can download up to a CD content in less than one hour.

Luca

Hey Worra, one option could be to make the download available in parts.

Programs like Winrar let you break apart a large file into smaller chunks. I imagine that the Mac platform has something similiar with Stuffit or whatever they use these days too.

For practical purposes, I wouldn't want to download anything bigger than 100-150 meg at a time.
    ---------------------------
    - SCA - Sound Studios -
    www.sca-soundstudios.com
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Cairns
    Hey Worra, one option could be to make the download available in parts.

Programs like Winrar let you break apart a large file into smaller chunks. I imagine that the Mac platform has something similiar with Stuffit or whatever they use these days too.

For practical purposes, I wouldn't want to download anything bigger than 100-150 meg at a time.
    Yes, sounds reasonable.
    Due to the safety, we are going to use a system that makes a link via php. This way there's no chanse to pass the link around for illegal downloads.
    Also the custom link will only be available from the same IP adress that placed the order.
    The way this system are made, the files have to be .zip files, and right now, there can only be one file/buy.
    I will check on options to have multi files, but probably this won't be any problems!
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

Now THAT is a good idea. The only people that probably couldn't do that is dial-up users and those files are too big for them anyhow. Best of luck!

James W.G. Smith

Hi Worra

I've just got myself a 1mb broadband connection after being on a 56k a dial-up for years. The 1mb blurb said that I could expect downloads times to increase by up to 20X. Well, I tested it, and they weren't kidding. This makes downloading big commercial sample libraries disitinctly viable. It would also, I'd suggest, significantly cut down general production costs (packaging, documentation and postage infrastructures) for devlopers, the savings of which could then be passed on to customers. So it seems like the way to go for century 21. The idea of using a library an hour or two after purchasing it is certainly incredibly sexy.

So do you forsee such savings being made for all of us? If so, do you have any rough estimates that you would like to share here regarding your productions?

Luck
    Heath

PHP is a great idea, but basing it on an ip is not. Many peoples ISP automatically change their ip. This usually occurs spuratically depending on your isp and could present a problem with people ordering. The way for it to work with php and a link is to keep a users id hash on the server and then place that (or part) of the hash in the link so that it is uniquely identified to their personal system. That's what I would do at least. It is the same concept as registering at a forum, but having to click on a link in the email to activate it.

If it's something I really want, I could see dl'ing 3-400 megs no prob. I'd say the most important thing is to be able to use a download control that can continue a download. This is ESSENTIAL! For example, I use a little app called Internet Download Manager (found it on cnet) which works very well. I'm sure there are others. With these you can just start a download and go to sleep, and have a new file in the morning.

I'm not sure how these would handle using PHP...something to look into.

Anyway, great idea!!

Go Back to forum