• Register
  • Help

Topic: One last inquiry B4 I put my mouse down for a while.

Share/Bookmark

Question One last inquiry B4 I put my mouse down for a while.

Apart of GPO -
    My favorite Symphony Orchestra as long as I can remember has been the London Symphony Orchestra. In my book, by far the greatest ever assembled in any concert hall. Most of my recordings I own are of the L.S.O. Without getting into a lengthy explanation why the L.S.O. is the orchestra for me, I just plain flat out love their sound.
    So, which world famous or not so famous orchestra do you feel is your favorite?
    Curiosity I guess, just curiosity

Sorry I should have mentioned this earlier. In 2nd place, although not very world renown, I have always loved the BPO. Let me put it this way, they have been a winning team consistently over any other so-called team in this area for years!
    Styxx

Re: One last inquiry B4 I put my mouse down for a while.

I don't know the names of all the orchestras in recordings I've listened to, but my favorite live string quartet has to be Miro. I saw them live in a renovated Opera house a couple of years ago and while everyone else there (school age kids were yawning) I was floored. They were exceptional. If they're ever in your area you should definitely check them out.

http://www.miroquartet.com/c/schedule.cgi

The Chicago Sympony Orchestra, in my book, has been the most consistently excellent (at least in terms of recordings) for the past 40 + years. Maybe it's the trombone player in me talking, but their brass section is on another level.

Best recording - Planets (1990 I think) with James Levine. I've heard dozens of recordings of this piece and IMHO nothing's even close.

That being said I'd have to rate the London Symphony a close second.

Also not too shabby:
    Philadelphia Symphony - especially during the Ormandy years.
    Cleveland - with Szell.
    London Philharmonic - Check out the Geoffry Simon recording of Saint Saens 3rd with the Westminster organ. Awesome if impossible in real life.
    Berlin Philharmonic

Feel free to disagree.
    - Layne

I really like the St. Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra, but that's only because I have free tickets to their symphony this Friday, heh heh heh
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    The Chicago Sympony Orchestra, in my book, has been the most consistently excellent (at least in terms of recordings) for the past 40 + years. Maybe it's the trombone player in me talking, but their brass section is on another level.

Best recording - Planets (1990 I think) with James Levine. I've heard dozens of recordings of this piece and IMHO nothing's even close.

That being said I'd have to rate the London Symphony a close second.

Also not too shabby:
    Philadelphia Symphony - especially during the Ormandy years.
    Cleveland - with Szell.
    London Philharmonic - Check out the Geoffry Simon recording of Saint Saens 3rd with the Westminster organ. Awesome if impossible in real life.
    Berlin Philharmonic

Feel free to disagree.
    Layne,

I'm with you about Chicago as well as Philly under Ormandy. Check out Pittsburgh under Maazel, too.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Ahem- let me put in a word for my homeys, the Pittsburgh Symphony. under the baton of William Steinberg. I was born in 1964 and got to go to a few concerts before they were taken over by that Brit fellow (OK, Previn was not too bad.)

Edit- Chad sort of beat me to it! Didn't see that. But I still say Steinberg was da man.

Also, I have always enjoyed von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.

Styxx,

I would have to agree with you. The LSO is probably my favorite as well because both John Williams and Danny Elfman as well as many other film composers use them. They seem to be well liked throughout the world.

I once read an article where John Williams said that when he went in to record the score for Star Wars Episode I, that there were still several members of the orchestra there from when he recorded the first Star Wars Trilogy Scores. Now how's that for job security! :-)

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum