• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Further Out There"

Share/Bookmark

"Further Out There"

Hi all!

It's been a long time since I posted something, but I'm getting married on Saturday, so studio time isn't exactly easy to come by these days.

So here's a goofy/groovy little song that's a bit outside of what normally graces these pages:

http://www.allhands.com/mp3/red_wire/further.mp3

Sounds:
    GPO - Steinway piano; section strings (with fun little chord "falls"); pizz CB; vibraphone
    Battery - drums
    Alesis QS7 - various wobbly sounds and pads
    My head - vocals

I think I might be adding some guitar if and when I get back to playing with this one. Probably another verse too (there is no chorus... I don't usually write them!)

Harsh critique welcomed.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: "Further Out There"

Cool! I like. Has a kind of "Another Green World" vibe to it.

Have a fantastic day on Saturday - congratulations!

Cheers

Andy
    http://www.audiopHoBic.com
    Soundtracks for Theatre, Dance & Film

Thank you for that really interesting and different piece. I'm a bit confused as I can't pigeon hole into a genre that I know. Why is it that we need to do this? It definitely has something about it that I like though and I'm into my second cycle. (some don't make it to the end of the first run although I do try and tough them out to the end to give them a fair crack). It's definitely got unusual instrument combinations which work I think....Definitely worth a listen or two!

Frank

Thumbs up Re: "Further Out There"

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I enjoyed your little piece, and so did my son. He’s the one who counts since he has all the money and buys music. Best of luck for a long and happy marriage.

Karl

Thanks, all

I guess you've convinced me to finish this piece. I was actually having a dream about it last night, so I guess that's a sign.

Staying out of the pigeon holes is both a blessing and a curse. I have no idea how to answer the all-too-common question "what kind of music do you write?" I'm penning this piece under my "Red Wire" moniker, which I've been describing as "Post-progressive head music." It sounds like a nicely-defined genre, yet means absolutely nothing.

- Jamie
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

It almost sounds like something Ubisoft would put out in one of their "out there" software titles (like Rayman, or Worms, etc.).

I'm telling you, those musicians at Ubisoft have written some WAY cool orchestral stuff. I downloaded a PC game (Rayman something or other) awhile back, and the main theme when little Ray goes sliding down the mountain is some of the best "cutesy" yet powerful orchestrating that I've every heard in a game.

I'll try to locate the game and record the song. It was very cool.

Kevin

It's almost got a Portishead feel to it and yet it's still different again.....Didn't they do well.....

There's something in this that is a bit special...

Frank

WOW! I actually found the particular music I was thinking of! It was the "soundtrack" for "Tonic Trouble", a Ubisoft game that came with a video card I purchased awhile back.

There's a guy that has the entire "soundtrack" at:

http://www.corbac.com/page22.html

Especially check out the Ski Slope track (the first one). It's quite hectic at first (and if I remember the gameplay, it needs to be because you are simply SCREAMING down a mountain on a metal disc thingey), but around 1:24 it REALLY starts grooving and I just LOVE this little track.

Okay, so I downloaded ALL of them to listen to on the way to work and back. This dude (Eric) is one eclectic and overall interesting orchestrator/writer. Just LOVE his stuff.

From there I jumped over to Eric Chevalier's website at:

http://www.ericchevalier.com/eric_us.html

I was also a HUGE fan of the Rayman series of games (especially Rayman, the Great Escape on N64, and then Rayman 3 Hoodlum Havoc on the Playstation and Eric orchestrated for some of those as well.

I think the stuff in your track that reminds me of Eric's style are the chord voicings, and the percussive vibraphone/marimba stuff that you do in the background.

Anyway...just thought I'd chime in (again!).

Man, the more I listen to those tracks, I can REALLY learn some stuff in how this French dude lays down his various tracks. VERY interesting stuff.

Okay...I'll shut up.

Kevin

Go Back to forum