• Register
  • Help

Topic: Concerto for flute and strings demo

Concerto for flute and strings demo

I just posted this in the Sample Libraries forum, but since I used GOS exclusively for strings, I thought it could be appropriate to also post it here.

This is a demo of the last movement of my concerto for flute and string orchestra. It's actually the first movement that I've written, which I just completed this weekend. I got an idea for a theme that could suit a final movement, so I decided to go ahead and write the end first.

It's in a simple rondo form, with a little twist in that there's a second theme that appears midway in the movement, and that comes back near the end.

The language is definitely modern, but there are some more melodic sections (the 2nd theme). Still, I believe it's not that dissonant and not too "hard" to listen to (at least I hope so).

The libraries used are Garritan Orchestral Strings, Kirk Hunter solo flute, plus 2 notes of Westgate Woodwinds flute for the fluttertonguing effects. Thanks guys for your great libraries.

I hope a few of you enjoy the piece, and of course all comments will be welcome.

P.S. I don't post often but I read the forum every day!

Thanks and have a nice day.

Wink Re: Concerto for flute and strings demo

your demo is very realistic and very well written! I enjoied it very much.
    It's not hard to listen for me.
    Really beautiful demo!

Re: Concerto for flute and strings demo

Thank you!

Thumbs up Re: Concerto for flute and strings demo

it's strange that nobody writes a comment about your piece.
    This area of the forum is not very "popular", maybe you could post your piece on the the demo section of GPO

Well, I commented on the post over in the main Sampling Libraries forum. But I agree the GOS area does seem to be pretty dead. We need to get something going over here!! Unfortunately I've been so busy with a really dull project I haven't had any time to play with GOS but that should start to change next week.

Oh, and for the record I thought this was a really excellent piece.

It's very good ! I enjoyed it a lot.
    It's vigorous,rythmic, full of energy, very skillfully written and with a lot of ideas : I especially enjoyed the more lyrical theme(about 1:50) and its reprise, I think you could have make more use of it because it was an haunting melody
    I also like the cadenza and your string writing with a lot of counterpoint and complex rythms, it becomes frantic !
    I think that for this kind of piece (trhee movments I assume) you should present the concero in its whole, but I can understand that you want share your work.
    The flute sounds very realistic, the fluttertongue are awesome, but I don't like the strings, it sounds mostly synthetic though I know the parts are very demanding for samples libraries (even for real players!), but for a mock-up to submit to conductors it's OK.
    Have you some more music to share ?

I think it's a cool piece!

Thumbs up Re: Concerto for flute and strings demo

Keep it up - it's worth it; very weel done. Ofcourse I have detailed comments and critique, but the main point is: You have something to offer!
    It deserves a better production, whether sampled or with real orchestra.
    Do you play the flute? is there room for breathing? :-)

All the best

Sorry for taking so long to reply. Been a little busy.

Thanks again everyone for the nice comments.

I agree that this part of the forum is generally rather quiet. I guess this will change when GOS 2 comes out (hope that will be sooner rather than later).

The bad news about my concerto is that the flutist who was supposed to play it can't do it anymore. The good news is that I've now found someone else to replace him. Now I just have to convince the conductor to do it with this new flutist (that's if I can reach him in the first place - why don't people return my phone calls?).

Alright, have a nice day folks.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    But I agree the GOS area does seem to be pretty dead. We need to get something going over here!!
    Yeah, maybe GOS should be more populated by pupursuing the Garritan team to launch kind of group buy as pmi and ewql recently did
    or a student's special offer or so..

Go Back to forum