• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Comment on GPO Update!

Share/Bookmark

Comment on GPO Update!

Wow! Like others, I am blown away with the sheer usefulness of the changes made in the latest update to GPO.

Downloaded it late last night and finally played with it this morning.

One of my comments that I WAS going to post a few days ago was how nice it would be if there was a single patch that had the Basses, Cellos, Violas and Violins spread across the keyboard so that we could use it in ONE track as kind of a "sketchpad" for the strings orchestration and then later we could break the parts out into separate tracks for more realism.

I'm glad I didn't post that request because the "Full Strings" (or whatever they called it...I'm not on my home computer right now) patch does EXACTLY that!! WAY TO GO! This feature alone will help us poor wretches who still like to compose using one track at first (until we learn to do it all track by track!).

The Aggressive Bows were also very very nice and I could immediately think of some uses for them in various compositions floating around in my head.

The keyswitched patches are simply too good to be true when you need to quickly switch betwixt various articulations. Absolutely BRILLIANT! I'm going to assume that in Sonar (or whatever sequencer folks use) it's as simple as recording the keystroke that switches it to the right articulation right before you need it and then perhaps switching back when it's time to use the original sound. How elegant! What a timesaver!

The key-up triggering was kind of cool. I started playing around with it to see how I could use it and it actually has the potential to be useful!

I didn't necessarily see or understand if there were any new articulations dealing with vibrato on, say, oboes and/or flutes, but maybe I read that wrong or misunderstood something. Maybe that's for future releases??

Anyway....bravo and great job by the Garritan empire! You have brightened our lives (again!).

The bottom line is that a sound library can be measured in how easy it is to use and especially how it inspires each musician to think of new ways to express a particular musical thought. GPO does this in a most marvelous way!

Thanks!

Kevin

Re: Comment on GPO Update!

During a half an hour playing with it, I actually laughed out loud out of sheer joy on more than one occasion. So far my favourite thing is the aggressive string patches. Playing with var1 and var2 really works and make chugging aggressive cello parts sound incredible. The extra attack on the solo strings makes fast runs work in a much more convincing way than I ever managed before. I can't wait to hear what some of the really talented people like Danielle can do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin B. Selby
    Wow!

I didn't necessarily see or understand if there were any new articulations dealing with vibrato on, say, oboes and/or flutes, but maybe I read that wrong or misunderstood something. Maybe that's for future releases??
    Kevin
    There is a new possibility for Solo Woodwinds:
    Aftertouch (or Controller cc131) = Vibrato intensity
    cc17 = Vibrato speed.
    It should be covered in the manual.
    fmfgs

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    It should be covered in the manual.
    fmfgs
    Would you happen to know where the updated manual is? Been poking around the GPO site, aven't found the pdf download yet.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Christopher,

The documentation was supposed to be made available at the same time as the update but some last-minute modifications became necessary. The .pdf will be posted as soon as those changes are in place. Sorry for the delay. I will post on more than one thread when it is ready for download.

Tom

Thumbs up Re: Comment on GPO Update!

Good job on the update.

The agressive stuff (strings and brass) is really nice. Having the flutes V and NV selected by KS is also great and the Solo Strings playable tremolos and trills is also a nice touch.

I have a couple of questions though:

1. Why are the agressive patches (strings and brass) separate and not included in the KS patches? I guess it depends how the AG patches are constructed, but if the effect is achieved with programming alone...wouldn't it be handy to include both the non-agressive and the AG ones in the same KS patch?

2. The Flute and the Piccolo Flute both have KS patches (V/NV/Flutter)...so why is there no KS (V/NV) patch for the Bass Flute?

Again, great job on this update...much appreciated.

Cheers

Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by R. Glenn
    1. Why are the agressive patches (strings and brass) separate and not included in the KS patches? I guess it depends how the AG patches are constructed, but if the effect is achieved with programming alone...wouldn't it be handy to include both the non-agressive and the AG ones in the same KS patch?
    For me the purpose of the agressive patches is more to layer them on "normal" patches the playing them standalone.

Wow! Everyone sounds so excited! Man, I can't wait to get up and running again.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by fmfgs
    For me the purpose of the agressive patches is more to layer them on "normal" patches the playing them standalone.
    Yes, that would be one use of them...but I don't see why that would necessarily rule out using them by themselves? If they were included in a KS patch one could do both...wouldn't that be best?

Besides, layering uses up voices...and additional patches use up instrument slots...so it just seemed like a flexible and useful thing.

I'm just wondering why this is not the case...unless there is some technical limitation of course.

Cheers

Rodney

Rodney,

I knew there would be keyswitch questions. So, . . .

1. The point of the string KS patches was to create a combination instrument of matching articulations; that is, drawn from the same sampling sessions so that they matched one another timbrally. This came to 12 keyswitches. A full octave. Had I added the non-matching choices (lush and aggressive) it would have been necessary to move the entire keyswitch set down an additional octave or offset the switches by several keys from the starting “C” key. This would have applied to all string instruments to accommodate the additional keyswitches. For many reasons we wished to avoid this. Just for the curious, the “lush” instruments use a different sample set. I tend to agree with fmfgs about layering the aggressive bows but I also view them as a “special case” instrument.

2. This update was in the works for months and was very time-consuming to create (ask my wife!) but there still wasn’t time to do everything. Choices had to be made or this would have continued on for quite a lot longer. We tried to choose the most useful features and apply them to as many instruments as time permitted. We even had betatesters help decide where to draw the line before release.

Expansion of some GPO KS features could come later but Gary and I agreed it was time move on to other projects. Have you ever looked into a bottomless pit? Welcome to GPO programming.

Tom

Go Back to forum