• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to hear when using Inst. Editor?

Share/Bookmark

How to hear when using Inst. Editor?

Hi Everyone.

As a pretty new user of GS, I am almost embaressed to ask, but here goes:
    When editing a sample in the Instrument Editor, how can you hear the results of your tweaking before committing them to a new file?

For example, I am trying to reduce the attack of a particular harp sample. In HALion (I use Cubase) all I have to do is offset the attack envelope by a touch. This creates a quick fade into each of the harp notes, effectively reducing the fingernail sound that starts each sample. Is there a comparable way to do this in the GS Instrument Editor?

Sorry to ask, but I could not find anything helpful in the manual.

Thanks so much for your help!!

Re: How to hear when using Inst. Editor?

I\'m doing this from memory, but here goes... Load the file in the editor and make sure it is ready to audition by clicking the GS icon in the collection of icons at the top of the screen. There are a series of tabbed dialogs at the lower right of the screen. EG1 should have the attack time you\'re looking for.

Cautions: Many of Giga\'s libraries have \"dimensions\" that can be confusing to edit. You have to be sure you have highlighted the region/note(s) you want to work on AND have highlighted the applicable dimensions, otherwise who knows what you\'ll be editing. And when you make a change you always must click Apply button (and note that there are two - use the one within the the dialog box. The one below is the Apply Macro button).

That said, if you want to make the same change to all notes it\'s quite easy. Select all the regions in the keyboard area; lock down all the dimensions using the button below the dimensions area; enter the attack time in the dialog box and apply it.

Good luck!

Hello BlueScreen,

Thanks to Doug for a quick answer there. Here are some other options for you to consider.

The thing to do is to select all the regions, splits and dimensions in the instrument to make a global edit. Then click on the EG/LFO1 (amplitude) tab and here you can make changes in one of two views: numerical or graphical. To hear the changes you made click the \"Apply EG/LFO1 Settings\" button on this tab.

Another method, which allows you to hear adjustments in real time, is to use the graphical parameter drag tools. Click on the drop down menu just above the keyboard display in the editor interface to get a list of alnmost every parameter available in the editor. Select the \"EG/LFO1 attack time\" option and drag the blue balls to adjust the attack time parameter.

You must have all regions, splits, and dimension selected to make a global edit. Most novice sample editors (at least to Giga) will make an edit and since by default only the lowest note region, split, and dimension (if applicable) are affected you would not hear any difference unless you audition only the lowest note region, etc.

Please get the new GigaStudio Instrument Editor Help Tutorial update. It\'s a free download here:

Giga Edit Help update

It covers the ins and outs of the Instrument Editor along with some step-by-step procedures.

Later,
    Kevin

Bluescreen:

If I understand you correctly, the above answers are not what you wanted. Are you just wanting to be able to hear a note after you\'ve edited it without having to either play it on your keyboard or switch back to Gigastudio from the editor?

Believe it or not, I don\'t think you can. It would seem to be a simple thing: click on the note and it plays. As in Virtual Sampler and other samplers. Hard to beleive that this very basic function doesn\'t appear in Giga. Something like a word processor in which you can\'t acutally see the text without switching to a different screen. Very stange.

I don\'t know. Virtual Sampler and Unity make it easy to hear a note.

Yes, I agree that\'s a pretty large oversight - no way to play a note from within the editor. However, even if you could do so, it would have limited editing value. I suspect the designers assumed a MIDI keyboard as part of almost any user setup.

Hi Everyone.

Thanks for your replies. Actually, the first few guys above nailed my questions precisely-- how to make global edits and then hear them to make sure you didn\'t go too far, etc.

I think I have got it working now. Thanks for the help file, Kevin. Works like a charm.

Go Back to forum