One question that I and others had raised that I haven't seen anyone answer is whether one needs to install the DFD module if one already has the current Kontakt DFD module from NI. The answer is "no". I installed only the GPO update, not the DFD patch, and when I started GPO and looked at the options menu, the DFD options were there - and DFD was active by default, possibly because I'd left it that way the last time I ran Kontakt.
So it's the same DLL, and changing the options in DFD will also change it for Kontakt. Not necessarily a disaster, but something to keep in mind.
DFD works fine, *but* you must remember to turn off the "Lock Samples in Memory" option, which I believe is set by default in GPO. Otherwise the sample locking overrides DFD.
Lastly - and I'm not sure about this - the GPO update may not be paying attention to where one has one's GPO Library samples installed. Which is to say, I originally installed the GPO binaries on C:, but put the sample library with my other sample sets, on the D: drive under a \Samples directory. In order to run the "GPO Benchmark", which uses GPO Studio files with the sample path wired as being under C:, I copied the library to the expected location under C:, but I have no recollection of changing the default path for GPO to be other than the D:\Samples location. When I ran the update, I was asked where the binary was, but not where the samples were installed, and the update updated the sample library on C:, not on D:, and when I launched GPO afterwards, my default location came up as being under the C: drive. It may be that I had inadvertently changed the default prior to installing the upgrade - I didn't double-check before running the installer - but those of you who have your samples installed somewhere other than the default location should be careful with the install.
And those of you who put up with my whining about needing DFD to run Bill's blessed benchmark will be pleased to know that, once I turned off the lock-in-memory default, I was able to load up his GPO Studio project file and run the benchmark just fine on my 1GB system, with GPO Studio never showing more that 40-several% CPU load on its status bar.
Good stuff, guys. Thanks.