• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Observations on GPO Update Install

Share/Bookmark

Observations on GPO Update Install

One question that I and others had raised that I haven't seen anyone answer is whether one needs to install the DFD module if one already has the current Kontakt DFD module from NI. The answer is "no". I installed only the GPO update, not the DFD patch, and when I started GPO and looked at the options menu, the DFD options were there - and DFD was active by default, possibly because I'd left it that way the last time I ran Kontakt.

So it's the same DLL, and changing the options in DFD will also change it for Kontakt. Not necessarily a disaster, but something to keep in mind.

DFD works fine, *but* you must remember to turn off the "Lock Samples in Memory" option, which I believe is set by default in GPO. Otherwise the sample locking overrides DFD.

Lastly - and I'm not sure about this - the GPO update may not be paying attention to where one has one's GPO Library samples installed. Which is to say, I originally installed the GPO binaries on C:, but put the sample library with my other sample sets, on the D: drive under a \Samples directory. In order to run the "GPO Benchmark", which uses GPO Studio files with the sample path wired as being under C:, I copied the library to the expected location under C:, but I have no recollection of changing the default path for GPO to be other than the D:\Samples location. When I ran the update, I was asked where the binary was, but not where the samples were installed, and the update updated the sample library on C:, not on D:, and when I launched GPO afterwards, my default location came up as being under the C: drive. It may be that I had inadvertently changed the default prior to installing the upgrade - I didn't double-check before running the installer - but those of you who have your samples installed somewhere other than the default location should be careful with the install.

And those of you who put up with my whining about needing DFD to run Bill's blessed benchmark will be pleased to know that, once I turned off the lock-in-memory default, I was able to load up his GPO Studio project file and run the benchmark just fine on my 1GB system, with GPO Studio never showing more that 40-several% CPU load on its status bar.

Good stuff, guys. Thanks.

Re: Observations on GPO Update Install

The DFD extension for GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA is available from the GARRITAN WEBSITE.

That is a quote taken from NI site.

I didn't see that at the GPO site. Are you telling me it is already put in the Kompakt engine?

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    The DFD extension for GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA is available from the GARRITAN WEBSITE.

That is a quote taken from NI site.
    Yes, but the the download pointer that Gary provided earlier today was actually a link to an NI server. This is apparently not what NI wanted, because he went back and edited that message to delete the link, promising to provide an updated link later. I haven't seen it yet, but I expect it will be somewhere on the garritan.com server.
    I didn't see that at the GPO site. Are you telling me it is already put in the Kompakt engine?
    No, it's in limbo. ;o) What I was saying is that *if* you already own Kontakt 1.5 or better from NI, and *if* you have the latest DFD package for Kontakt installed, which is 1.2.9, you apparently don't need to install the GPO DFD download, because the updated GPO Kontakt player works with the NI Kontakt DFD module of the same revision level.

ahhh, same DFD extension as Kontakt 1.5. Yup, I was very wrong in an earlier thread.
    Tim

Question Re: Observations on GPO Update Install

Tom,
    some time ago I copied PersonalOrchestraVST.dll to a new folder GpoPiano, renamed the file as GpoPiano.dll and ran Cakewalk VST adapter pointing to GpoPiano folder. I use GpoPiano as VST with "USE STD. CC#7 / CC#10 VOLUME & PAN" option. What should I do before or after installation of update?
    Thank you.
    sfiks

Quote Originally Posted by sfiks
    Tom,
    some time ago I copied PersonalOrchestraVST.dll to a new folder GpoPiano, renamed the file as GpoPiano.dll and ran Cakewalk VST adapter pointing to GpoPiano folder. I use GpoPiano as VST with "USE STD. CC#7 / CC#10 VOLUME & PAN" option. What should I do before or after installation of update?
    Thank you.
    Just copy the new .dll from the Personal Orchestra folder to the folder you created. Delete the old one and rename the new on to GpoPiano.dll.

Smile Re: Observations on GPO Update Install

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Just copy the new .dll from the Personal Orchestra folder to the folder you created. Delete the old one and rename the new on to GpoPiano.dll.
    Thank you, Joseph! It worked. Another question.
    VST plugin shows new version "SOFTWARE: 1.1.0.04". When I load FULL STRINGS KS COMBO I can see all C throug B keyswitches. That's good.
    DXI plugin shows old version "SOFTWARE: 1.0.2.008". It means it wasn't updated. (Font is also old). When I load FULL STRINGS KS COMBO I see only D#, E, and F keyswitches. How to update PersonalOrchestraDXi.dll?
    Thanks.
    sfiks

Hrm. Looks like all the plugins didn't get selected when the install ran the first time. Anyway, go to C:\Program Files\Garritan Personal Orchestra\DXI and copy the .dll file from there to the DXI plugin folder in Cakewalk. Make sure the DXI dll from in the Garritan folder is 1.1.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Make sure the DXI dll from in the Garritan folder is 1.1.0.4
    The thing is that it's 1.0.2.8. It doesn't get updated. I get "Corrupt installation file!" in INSTALL.LOG during installation.
    sfiks

Interesting. I'm sending you an email.

Go Back to forum