• Register
  • Help

Topic: New GPO user - Violin Sonata "Atonal Probe"

Share/Bookmark

New GPO user - Violin Sonata "Atonal Probe"

I hope I'm doing this right. I'm imitating other posting styles.

This first movement of a Violin Sonata, "Atonal Probe", is my first work produced from scratch in GPO. (Using Sonar 3 PE)

Link: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=436833&T=761

Despite the whimsical title, this is NOT really atonal, and not even simply chromatic. In fact, the 'B' theme begining at 1:00 and the development at 2:26 are decidedly influenced by the tonality of Bach and Brahms (and especially the later's love of rhytmic complexity.) The 'A' melody does use all twelve chromatic tones, but not in Schoenberg's strict dodecaphonic idiom.

This is primarily an exercise in counterpoint and rhythmic variation, as well as in GPO performance technique.

Before I created this, I practiced using GPO on two earlier works. GPO made a huge difference:

GPO versions:
    Brahms Tango: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=431751&T=6234
    Tango de Miserendino: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=433805&T=6061

Earlier .sf2 versions:
    Brahms Tango: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=247893&T=3178
    Tango de Miserendino: http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=313926&T=696

Re: New GPO user - Violin Sonata "Atonal Probe"

Albert,

First let me say welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing your work.

With that said, I'm not sure that your links are working. I clicked on them all and all I get is a white screen coming up.

Here's what I do, I upload the tunes to my FTP. Then I place them on my website. Next, I'll right click on the link and click on "Copy Shortcut" or whatever it might be. I then past those shortcuts into the forum. It should work out alright.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Once again, welcome and enjoy.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thumbs up Re: New GPO user - Violin Sonata "Atonal Probe"

Hi, Albert, and a big WELCOME to the GPO forum!

The links are working for me just fine. (At first, I thought it might be because I am perpetually logged in to AcidPlanet, but I tried the links from another system where I'm just an "ordinary user" and they worked fine.)

Have you installed the "popup blockers" (of Windows XP SP2 or other blocker), Jonny? Sometimes, that results in not getting the popup that you exect to (with or without a 'warning' beep).

The GPO versions of your three pieces (so far) are head and shoulders above their previous representations (of the latter two). I look forward to many more of your "premieres" here, Albert! I take a small credit in pushing you towards GPO and can't wait to hear the results as you build "your orchestra"!

KevinKauai

Jonny,

First, Thanks for the greeting. I'm looking forward to picking up some good advice, instruction, tips and/or secrets for making my "performances" sound more realistic and generally better. I'm not far along enough yet to guide others in GPO, except as Gary said to me, I could inspire some with examples of my work. How much better these works sound with just a little experience using GPO! Hense the links.

I think the server was just down at the time you tried the links. I couldn't get there through any method at that time. I suspected as much and after I came back from dinner, everything worked again.

Kevin, my friend. You did indeed sway my choice of GPO, and I am glad you did.

Albert

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Albert,

First let me say welcome to the forum. I look forward to hearing your work.

With that said, I'm not sure that your links are working. I clicked on them all and all I get is a white screen coming up.

Here's what I do, I upload the tunes to my FTP. Then I place them on my website. Next, I'll right click on the link and click on "Copy Shortcut" or whatever it might be. I then past those shortcuts into the forum. It should work out alright.

Let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Once again, welcome and enjoy.

Jonny

Wow!! Some of the best solo violin I've heard yet. And what a great composotion. I'll be thinking about this one a lot.

A quibble which you can feel free to entirely ignore of course: the instruments are panned to hard for my personal tastes. To me it takes me out of a concert hall feel (assuming that's what you are going for). To get that kind of seperation you'd have to be sitting about three feet from the performers

Edit- on further listening, THE best solo violin I've heard yet from GPO. Sweet.

Albert,

Very well done indeed. I've only listened to them once, so I will listen again later and comment more. But on first listen, excellently done.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thumbs up Re: New GPO user - Violin Sonata "Atonal Probe"

This is really good work here, and something of a showcase for GPO.

Thanks so much for the encouragement from several of you. I guess my passionate Hungarian side shows through on the fiddle. Wish I could actually play like that. Thank Gary for creating an instument I can fake on.

Quote Originally Posted by FredProgGH
    Wow!! Some of the best solo violin I've heard yet. And what a great composotion. I'll be thinking about this one a lot.

A quibble which you can feel free to entirely ignore of course: the instruments are panned to hard for my personal tastes. To me it takes me out of a concert hall feel (assuming that's what you are going for). To get that kind of seperation you'd have to be sitting about three feet from the performers

Edit- on further listening, THE best solo violin I've heard yet from GPO. Sweet.

Go Back to forum