• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Wife's question's about Beta testers! :-)

Share/Bookmark

My Wife's question's about Beta testers! :-)

Ok, so my wife and I were talking yesterday about beta testers. She asked, "Why are they called Beta testers? If they are the people who are checking GPO when Tom and Gary get done with it, shouldn't they be called Alpha testers?"

I said, "Well, I suppose the designers are concidered the Aplha testers since they are checking as they go along."

Then she said, "So Tom and Gary are the Alpha testers then, right!"

"Sure", I said.

And she answered, "So should we call them the ALPHA MALES?!!" :-)

My only response was, "Good Grief!!"

We thought it was rather humourous.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Talking Re: My Wife's question's about Beta testers! :-)

What's it all about, Alpha?
    Styxx

Re: My Wife's question's about Beta testers! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    What's it all about, Alpha?
    Groan!

I don't know about Garritan, but here an alpha test phase basically involves unstable software that's 'feature-complete' i.e. all the major engineering is done but there are lotsa bugs. The alpha release never leaves the shop.

When the bugs are ironed out, beta test involves sending it out to a lucky few who produce detailed reports about what blew up their system (developers rarely have the same systems as actual users). When all the beta bugs are fixed (some may be earmarked for a next version) the system is a Release Candidate and only showstopper bugs are fixed. Then the feature test plans are all run, and if they pass, the whole kit and caboodle goes to production.

There are more stages to a software release (unit test, integration test, RC cycle, productizing etc.) but that's basically how we define alpha/beta here.

-John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley
    Groan!

I don't know about Garritan, but here an alpha test phase basically involves unstable software that's 'feature-complete' i.e. all the major engineering is done but there are lotsa bugs. The alpha release never leaves the shop.

When the bugs are ironed out, beta test involves sending it out to a lucky few who produce detailed reports about what blew up their system (developers rarely have the same systems as actual users). When all the beta bugs are fixed (some may be earmarked for a next version) the system is a Release Candidate and only showstopper bugs are fixed. Then the feature test plans are all run, and if they pass, the whole kit and caboodle goes to production.

There are more stages to a software release (unit test, integration test, RC cycle, productizing etc.) but that's basically how we define alpha/beta here.

-John

What's it all about, Alfie? (Alpha) < Ya see?
    Is it just for the moment we live?
    What's it all about
    When you sort it out, Alfie?
    Are we meant to take more
    Than we give
    Or are we meant to be kind?

And if only fools are kind, Alfie,
    Then I guess it's wise to be cruel.
    And if life belongs
    Only to the strong, Alfie,
    What will you lend
    On an old golden rule?
    Styxx

This GPO update had about 10 release candidates!!! Crazy Tom Hopkins wasn't satisfied and kept going back for more (abuse).

Go Back to forum