• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sizes of Updated .exe files, something seems a bit off!

Share/Bookmark

Sizes of Updated .exe files, something seems a bit off!

Hey guys,

I finally installed the new update. I must say that it is quite awesome.

So, I open up GPO Studio to see if I could load a full template using the DFD extension, (seeing how I'm dealing with 512 MB of Ram here, Oui!)

Anyway, while I'm loading the GPO Studio, I get a notice saying that I'm getting low on Ram. "Funny", I said to myself, It never did that before!"

So I checked the system resources and lo and behold the PersonalOrchestraStudio.exe file was taking up a whopping 305,912 K of ram. Yikes.

So I did a little test. I restored my system to before I installed the update and the DFD extentsion. Then I check my resources. Next, I proceeded to install each item, checking the resources as I went. Here's what I discovered:

By the way, all of these are without any samples loaded. Just the software themselves.

Before Installing the update:
    PersonalOrchestraStudio.exe - 104,980 K of ram
    PersonalOrchestra.exe - 24,452 k of ram (Stand Alone Version)

After Installing the Update Only:
    PersonalOrchestraStudio.exe - 108,756 K of ram
    PersonalOrchestra.exe - 25,036 k of ram

After Installing Update and DFD:
    PersonalOrchestraStudio.exe - 305,896 K of ram
    PersonalOrchestra.exe - 50,896 k of ram

I know that Gary and Tom had said that GPO ran better in Ram instead of streaming from disk, but is this right? Is this what they meant? If so, then I tend to agree with them! ;-)

Has anyone else had instances like this?

Now that I think about it, I should have posted this in the Troubleshooting forum, not the general. Oh well, Sorry!

Any comments are welcome because I have absolutely no clue if this is what is supposed to happen or if I'm just off my rocker.

Thanks a bunch,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Sizes of Updated .exe files, something seems a bit off!

This is because with DFD enabled, each instance of the Kontakt Player grabs a certain amount of RAM irregardless of if there are actually instruments loaded. You can decrease this RAM usage by using a different preset in the Kontakt Player options panel. This is an issue with Studio because there are 8 instances present. Even though they are empty, with DFD enabled, they all steal a portion of the RAM for buffering usage, etc.

Joseph,

So basically, if I disable DFD or lower the setting, this phenomena should go away. Right? I think that's what you mean.

Thanks alot,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Yes, it "should" go away if you disable the DFD option and it should be reduced if you change the settings around. Go with the preset that has a lower memory usage.

Go Back to forum