• Register
  • Help

Topic: How does one create body impulses for Gigapulse???

Share/Bookmark

How does one create body impulses for Gigapulse???

Suppose I were so inclined to want to sample my own private piano...that parts not too challenging...BUT...with all this Gigapulse business...how does one go about creating the impulses to use with Gigapulse...so that I will have the body resonance of my piano to use with my samples for pedal up releases and pedal down sustain resonance? Did I miss something in the GS3 manual?

Oh, and in the Gigapiano II....what exactly are the "recoil" samples?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

JPS

Re: How does one create body impulses for Gigapulse???

Actually, I am wondering something similar. I am addicted to a certain hall in my Waves IR1, and if I wanted to use that impulse in Gigapulse, how would I go about converting it? Thanks,

James W.G. Smith (Who still has not decided whether or not to get GS3 yet)

anyone?

I think most devs are afraid to give away any of their secrets to other devs, but since I don't do piano libs I can tell you how I would do one, take it or leave it...

PS: I did do a body resonance impulse for my Acoustic Bass Guitar library.

You can simply place a microphone inside the body and excite the body somehow. A gunshot, a balloon pop, knock on the body with your hand... and record the resonance inside. Do this both with pedal up and pedal down.

You can get some good speakers and run a sweep tone through and record the body's reaction to that and extract the sweep tone later.

But that last option costs a bit more and is a little more difficult.

If it is not for a commercial release you would most likely get fine results with just a hard knock on the body.

Have fun - body impulses are wicked cool....
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Thank you Alan...nice to see some developers aren't TOO worried about giving up their precise secrets! If i may ask a follow up....once you have the actual recording of the impulses....for pedal up/ down....how does one program that in gigapulse....I've searched the GS manual with no luck...perhaps I am overlooking something?

thanks again

JPS

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Schwinghamer
    Thank you Alan.......how does one program that in gigapulse....I've searched the GS manual with no luck...perhaps I am overlooking something?

thanks again

JPS
    JP, you are overlooking a manual that doesn't exist. Tascam did not include the GigaPulse manual in the GS3 box (though one does exist) and I got it direct from Tascam in PDF - you can ask them this way - or we can do it thru email you and I - it is too much for me to write a tutorial - better for direct questions - do you AIM or MSN chat - we could do it that way as well... (AIM preferred)

Hope that'll help -

20 Things

Thank you for your very generous offer Alan. Before I inconvienence you with a tutorial request, let me try and contact tascam and see if I can get the same pdf file. To whom at Tascam should I email? Do you think they would mind if you sent me the pdf?

Thanks a million!

JPS

Quote Originally Posted by J.P. Schwinghamer
    To whom at Tascam should I email? Do you think they would mind if you sent me the pdf?

Thanks a million!

JPS
    I would email Tascam's support - there should be an address on their site - I have a private address for someone there and I'm not sure if he would like it public.

Also, with there being no way for me to prove that you own GS - it would not be appropiate for me to send you the PDF (not that I don't trust you or anything, I am 100% sure you own GS3, but digital rights are weird and I wouldn't want to violate anything) - they should be able to provide it to you.

If you would like help in the near future, my AIM name is "LastLibs" and msn is cubase_sx_user@hotmail.com

Hope you get it all figured out. Let me know how things go, convolution issues (and body resonance in particular) are very interesting to me.

20 Things

Go Back to forum