• Register
  • Help

Topic: Optimization Questions

Share/Bookmark

Optimization Questions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, before I go farther, Win98SE, or XP? Is there a clear preference?

I am using an Athlon 1.4gig w/ 1gig RAM, a ViaA7V266 chipset, and have 3 hard drives:
    1- 40gig Maxtor 7200 ATA100,
    1- 60gig Western Digital 7200, ATA 100
    1- 20gig Maxtor 7200, ATA 66.
    I use Cubase VST/24 as a sequencer and occasional audio recording and have Cubase SX on its way (although I\'m not sure I\'ll be using it quite yet.
    I also use a Delta 1010, and an old Gina 20 Bit soundcard

How would you tech experts out there suggest I allocate programs, sample libraries, etc to the drives?

Ive read both Tascam Optimization Docs - for Win98 and 2000/XP. It is suggested to put all audio material on a seperate drive. Ok, but does that include GS itself, the sample libraries only, or audio that\'s captured? Would that also include audio recorded by Cubase on the same drive? I can\'t afford a dedicated computer for Giga at this time and must use the same machine for both GigaS and Cubase. I wont be using the internet on it, however.

I would sure appreciate advise from those of you who really do know this stuff. I followed suggestions in the past from others who passed along, apparently, second hand information, and so have a bit of apprehension asking and taking advice from strangers at this point. So please. Dont give directions unless you know.

Thanks alot for your time
    Runamuck

Re: Optimization Questions

Anybody?

though this thread does not need a bump, i bump. i\'d like to know as well whether a third drive is necessary. do you need: 1. OS and programs, 2. files and storage for songs (say you got Sonar - they recommend keeping wave data and picture cache on a seperate HD from program), THEN 3. for Giga samples???

You don\'t need separate HD\'s for GS and Windows. Put OS, GS and GS performances on the same drive. Then use another HD for samples. If you play back and/or record audio in a sequencer at the same time, another HD for that would be good. It\'s all a matter of what you use it for and what performance you want from your machine. If you only use your sequencer to record your GS material, another HD shouldn\'t be necessary.

I\'m a happy camper on XP. One thing I will say, is that if you do upgrade to XP, continue to format your drives with Fat32, and not NTFS. NTFS is the XP default. You get no improvement for audio with NTFS, and you get less drive space.

Thanks everybody for your input so far.
    Runamuck

tascam recoommends highly fat32 with 32k clusters

I had nothing but trouble with NTFS and switched back

hello.........your 1 gig of ram is a waste of time since win98se only supports up to 512....ha ha.........Rube

I am using an Athlon 1.4gig w/ 1gig RAM, a ViaA7V266 chipset, and have 3 hard drives:
    1- 40gig Maxtor 7200 ATA100,
    1- 60gig Western Digital 7200, ATA 100
    1- 20gig Maxtor 7200, ATA 66.
    I use Cubase VST/24 as a sequencer and occasional audio recording and have Cubase SX on its way (although I\'m not sure I\'ll be using it quite yet.
    I also use a Delta 1010, and an old Gina 20 Bit soundcard

How would you tech experts out there suggest I allocate programs, sample libraries, etc to the drives?

Ive read both Tascam Optimization Docs - for Win98 and 2000/XP. It is suggested to put all audio material on a seperate drive. Ok, but does that include GS itself, the sample libraries only, or audio that\'s captured? Would that also include audio recorded by Cubase on the same drive? I can\'t afford a dedicated computer for Giga at this time and must use the same machine for both GigaS and Cubase. I wont be using the internet on it, however.

I would sure appreciate advise from those of you who really do know this stuff. I followed suggestions in the past from others who passed along, apparently, second hand information, and so have a bit of apprehension asking and taking advice from strangers at this point. So please. Dont give directions unless you know.

Thanks alot for your time
    Runamuck[/QB][/QUOTE]

Go Back to forum