• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Verdict on GS3

Share/Bookmark

The Verdict on GS3

Hey all,

Longtime reader, first time caller!

I was moved to post this thread because of all the past hullabaloo over the coming of GS3. Ever since it came out, though, there has been a strange silence on this board. Is everyone so busy using GS3 that nobody has posted about the experience and how much better/worse it is?

Like Gigapulse. Or how about the VST plugin support? iMIDI rules used with old libraries? I crave your thoughts on the subject. Especially given how much angst was posted here about its proposed features, CCP, many delays pending release, and so on... strange that nobody seems to be talking about how the product turned out. I suspect that means the product is so great it has hushed everyone and gotten them back to work slaving over mockups.

As an upgrade prospect I'd really like to know the thoughts of the folks here. Also as an LA denizen I was wondering if any n00bs would be accepted at the next LANS hang....

Cheers everyone,

Andrew

Re: The Verdict on GS3

I've been wondering the same thing. Virtually no discussion of GS3 in this forum (I'm sure there is elsewhere). Seems odd...

Jerry

Try the Gigastudio Forum

Actually Gs3 is fantastic, especially in conjunction with Gigapulse.
    Also the content is filled with great new material .
    best regards

Przemyslaw K.

DUH!!!

I've been lurking here so long I completely missed that fact. The graphic redesign must have clouded my perception.

Nice way to introduce myself, eh??

I'm apparently none too smart.

I like it. I've been using the Rewire function and the VSL samples that came with it.

GS3 is upto patch 3.02 already, but it still has serious bugs. The worst one for me is the incorrect handling of midi messages. There are circumstances when the sequencer will send GS3 a note off and GS3 will ignore it causing, what other posters are calling, the hanging note problem. Additionally when you wish to use midi program changes, say for example to change articulations, GS3 wont always honour the midi patch change. This is the most annoying problem because you can not be sure that your music will be played as you have written it.

Techntim: Just curious, but are you using a driver with GSIF2 support? The kernal-level MIDI thing sounds pretty exciting.

Though I guess we'd better take it over to the GS section of the forum.... sorry Poppa!!

Well, once I fixed a simple driver issue GS3 has been fine, so far. BUT I really haven't gone beyond simple operation. I don't have a clue about Gigapulse yet.

andyt

I have all of SAMs libraries (except trumpets) and really love them for the quality / price.

Pricing on True Strike is a too high for me to make them an impulse purchase. They are now in the "have-to-think-really-carefully-about-this" category.

Quote Originally Posted by Alewis
    Techntim: Just curious, but are you using a driver with GSIF2 support? The kernal-level MIDI thing sounds pretty exciting.
    I just updated to the M-audio delta1010 GSIF-2 driver (which has been rock solid BTW.) The reduction in latency with the kernel level midi is noticeable from the old setup (particularly under rewire, where before latency issues made it almost unusable to me.)

Even better is the audio input, and I've had fun running vocal tracks from Sonar through the 1010 and into Giga to process with Gigapulse. Really cool!

Go Back to forum