• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: AMD Athlon vs Intel P4?

Share/Bookmark

GIGASTUDIO 3 - AMD Athlon 64 vs Intel P4?

I'm finally taking the plunge and building a PC dedicated to run Giga 3. I'm considering the Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz / 1MB Cache / 800MHz FSB and the Intel "D875PBZLK FMB 1.5" i875P Chipset Motherboard as this combination is reported to be solid for Giga 3 (there seems to be a perceived stability advantage when going with all Intel chipsets). However, I would really appreciate any recommendation on the best performing AMD Processor and MOBO combo as an alternative to Intel (although, it seems like AMD is not quite the bargain that it used to be). By performance, I'm referring to the more CPU intensive tasks such as instances of Giga Pulse and VST plugs rather than just polyphony (which is more hard drive dependent). Also, what performance difference can be expected with the new 2-Mbyte L2 cache announced for the P4 processors for next year (while Intel phase out the P4 completely in favor of dual core).

Thanks

Re: AMD Athlon vs Intel P4?

The answer to all these questions are very easy to find. Get an evaluation version of Sandra Pro or other equivalent benchmark utility and then give a look at their comparison charts. Pick one from the top of the list and be happy!

Keep in mind that despite performance advantage in CPU usage, Athlon 64bit chips are NOT compatible with Giga software yet.

As has been pointed out on other threads, GS3 does run on AMD 64-bit chips under 32-bit Windows. Tascam's known issues state 64-bit is not supported - whether they mean true 64-bit OS or all circumstances isn't stated.

I also received further information from another source as follows:

"AMD beats Intel on just about everything multimedia related except for SSE2 enabled apps. Intel does quite a bit better in memory transfers (great for database sorting and the like) while AMD has the superior floating point performance. Cache and FSB don't have an awful lot to do with performance in GS3, it's mostly hard drive performance and PCI bus efficiency you need to worry about, with the exception of Gigapulse which defintely benefits from an SSE2 capable cpu.."

On the last point, I believe the memory transfer is _only_ better on Intel against the 32 bit Athlon. The Athlon 64's have built-in memory controllers and blow the pants off of P4's in this respect.

Freya

I am just going by what Tascam support stated to me last week. Gigastudio is a NO GO with any Athlon 64 chip. I have not gotten it to even open up properly.........I don't claim to know what all this really means...just passing on the party line I suppose.....

You can read about A64 success stories here:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...t=25063&page=1

-JF

Thanks for that link. I have a 64, and my GS3 should be arriving this week.
    What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDrewry
    As has been pointed out on other threads, GS3 does run on AMD 64-bit chips under 32-bit Windows. Tascam's known issues state 64-bit is not supported - whether they mean true 64-bit OS or all circumstances isn't stated.
    it does run!!!
    its just not tested by tascam
    Digital AudionetworX

Go Back to forum