• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Topic: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    I had the incredible opportunity to be a part of The Vote For Change Tour, and I'm back to tell you it was a wonderful mind-blowing trip. Regardless of your political persuasions - I don't want this thread to be about Kerry vs Bush - it was unprecedented and musically and politically truly special. Usually I spend my time largely alone writing scores for movies, but had the opportunity to live another life for a couple of weeks playing rock and roll with my band opening for one of the headliners, playing venues in 6 "swing states". Going from a largely solitary life to one that put me and my band in front of 15,000 people a night was wonderfully surreal, and to boot, for a good cause (IMHO).
    Most importantly, the VFC tour registered thousands of new voters and at the very least brought attention to the importance of voting and being a part of the political process called democracy. Overall, over 1.5 million newly registered voters will hopefully be participating on November 2nd, compared to 4 years ago.
    I hope everyone here will excercise their right and duty to vote your conscience on Tuesday, November 2nd 2004. The future of our democracy depends on yours and every US citizen's participation, without which will weaken us all.
    I'll get off my soapbox now and download the GPO update!
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

  2. #2

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Come on ... no politics in concert hall, please

  3. #3

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Yeah, I don't want to hear about that. I hear enough propaganda elsewhere.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

  4. #4

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbinsEgg
    Regardless of your political persuasions - I don't want this thread to be about Kerry vs Bush ... Going from a largely solitary life to one that put me and my band in front of 15,000 people a night was wonderfully surreal
    That must have been exceptionally cool for you. I spent most of my live performing years playing bars, so 15,000 people must have been a blast - congrats on getting such a good gig!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  5. #5

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    15,000 people. I'd have a panic attack of enormous perportions. I get nervous and faint in front of 4 or 5.

  6. #6

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    15,000 people. I'd have a panic attack of enormous perportions. I get nervous and faint in front of 4 or 5.
    Well, there's always the old "visualize the crowd in their underwear" technique but frankly, given some of the crowds I've played to, that would be even more disconcerting...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com


  7. #7

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Quote Originally Posted by RobbinsEgg
    I had the incredible opportunity to be a part of The Vote For Change Tour, and I'm back to tell you it was a wonderful mind-blowing trip. Regardless of your political persuasions - I don't want this thread to be about Kerry vs Bush - it was unprecedented and musically and politically truly special. Usually I spend my time largely alone writing scores for movies, but had the opportunity to live another life for a couple of weeks playing rock and roll with my band opening for one of the headliners, playing venues in 6 "swing states". Going from a largely solitary life to one that put me and my band in front of 15,000 people a night was wonderfully surreal, and to boot, for a good cause (IMHO).
    Most importantly, the VFC tour registered thousands of new voters and at the very least brought attention to the importance of voting and being a part of the political process called democracy. Overall, over 1.5 million newly registered voters will hopefully be participating on November 2nd, compared to 4 years ago.
    I hope everyone here will excercise their right and duty to vote your conscience on Tuesday, November 2nd 2004. The future of our democracy depends on yours and every US citizen's participation, without which will weaken us all.
    I'll get off my soapbox now and download the GPO update!

    Cool gig! Nothing beats playing live to a big crowd, especially when they like your tunes!

    Jim

  8. #8

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Simply providing previously non-voting citizens information related to "the importance of voting and being a part of the political process called democracy" without also providing them additional information related to the need to make the effort to truly understand the issues, research the facts surrounding each of the issues (and not just listen to the propaganda put forth by the politicians, their parties and the special interest groups that pay them off) and then making an informed choice just adds to the problems. We don't need any more lemmings (on the left or the right).

    VFC and other similar "get out the vote" events are nothing more then a rally to influence people that are ignorant of the facts to vote the way one party or the other wants them to in my opinion. Both the left and the right do it and it only tends to destroy the democratic process.

    Concerts should be for the enjoyment of music, not to further some political party's hold or grasp on power.

    Just my two cents worth on the politics.

    Now that that tirade is over, congratulations on your participation in the concerts as musical events. I’m sure that you had a great time. Many years ago (many, many actually) I had the opportunity to open for the big groups on a couple of regional tours, it was a lot of fun and something that I have always remembered with a lot of joy.

    Dave

  9. #9

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Yes, please don't take my response to mean that I don't appreciate your experience. That must have been amazing! Congratulations for that.
    www.EricHermanMusic.com
    - Cool Tunes for Kids -

  10. #10

    Re: Report from The Vote For Change Tour!

    Quote Originally Posted by daveporter
    Simply providing previously non-voting citizens information related to "the importance of voting and being a part of the political process called democracy" without also providing them additional information related to the need to make the effort to truly understand the issues, research the facts surrounding each of the issues (and not just listen to the propaganda put forth by the politicians, their parties and the special interest groups that pay them off) and then making an informed choice just adds to the problems. We don't need any more lemmings (on the left or the right). VFC and other similar "get out the vote" events are nothing more then a rally to influence people that are ignorant of the facts to vote the way one party or the other wants them to in my opinion. Both the left and the right do it and it only tends to destroy the democratic process.

    Concerts should be for the enjoyment of music, not to further some political party's hold or grasp on power.
    You're painting with broad strokes here, Dave, big assuptions. Of course no one will take an interest in researching facts vs fiction on issues if they don't have the interest in registering. Registering is the first, big step. I think most people deserve a little more credit than you give them. By following your logic, the 1.5 million new voters are all uninformed. I think it's more that they've become motivated to take a part in the process, and because of that, are finding an importance to it and take it seriously and start to feel a responsibility to seek out information to help them make an intelligent decision. Personally speaking, when I turned 18 and registered, I felt as though I had become a part of something and took it upon myself to find out more about candidates and issues. One great thing that happens is you get a ballot guide in the mail which is a great starting point.

    Had you been to one of the concerts in Florida, for instance, you would also have noticed the registration booths set up throughout the venue, manned by volunteers as well as many of the headliner personalities, signing people up for registering. There were also sign-up sheets for already-registered voters to volunteer for local get-out-the-vote drives, and there was also a lot of printed information on how to become an informed voter.

    VFC in a way is a rally, yes, and with music, yes. Music has always through history been a medium for gathering people, telling a story, and rallying for one cause or another. It also has a long history of being an effective agent for commenting on the state of society, through satire, drama, irony, etc. This is a good thing for democracy. It's also a hell of a lot more positive use than music used for jingoistic, rally the troops into battle type of thing, I'm sure you'd agree.
    Concerts can and should be just for fun and entertainment, but not always.

    Remember, performers are citizens too.
    Logic 9 | OSX Snow Leopard | 2x3 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon | 4g ram |Dual Cinema Displays | MBox 2 | MOTU 2408, MTP AV | AlphaTrack | BlueSky 2.1 |

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •