• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: QUICK! Do I need 1.5 or 2.0GB of RAM?

Share/Bookmark

Help me build a GREAT GPO machine!

EDIT: I'm re-using my old thread with a different twist... Sorry the thread title appears to not change with it.

Help me build a Windows-PC for GPO!

I have do decide between cheap Sempron, Athlon XP Mobile (Barton core), Athlon 64 (754 or 939) -or- Intel's Celeron"D" or Pentium4 non-prescott.

RAM, must decide between: 3x 512MB, 4x 512MB or 2x 1024MB. 512MB sticks are far cheaper than 1024MB sticks (bearing in mind the double quantity.)

Must decide on platform to build on... either i865 for Intel, nForce2/3 for AMD, but could either build a system from parts into a quiet Antec case, or spend a bit more and go for a Small Form Factor system like the Shuttle series. A Quiet base system is essential.

Sound card - well, I already have an ooold-but-good Steinberg Project Card for 48KHz 16-bit w/ proper ASIO support. (ASIO2 possibly...)
    But I'm strongly considering the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 (cheap now that the 192khz version replaced it) so I'd also gain a reliable MIDI interface instead of joystick-port nonsense.

So..... suggestions? Anything to aim for or avoid?
    Last edited by BlueMax; 11-30-2004 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Change thread title, etc.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: QUICK! Do I need 1.5 or 2.0GB of RAM?

1.5 should be sufficient. I have never went beyond 1.3 gigs of RAM loaded when using GPO, although it is possible. I have 2 gigs, but I think 1.5 should cut the mustard.

Great news! That makes things MUCH easier!

You can live with 1.5GB, no problem. On the other hand, I can report that I saw more performance improvement than I would have expected when I bumped my machine from 1.5 to 2.

Just curious, are you locked in to 1.5 with the cheaper machine? How many memory slots does it have?
    - Layne

Thumbs up Re: QUICK! Do I need 1.5 or 2.0GB of RAM?

1.5 is sufficient since 1 was the required amount. But, on weekends I like the Canadian stuff at about 5%, oh wait that's not what we're talking about is it. Regardless, being a next door neighbor you know your stuff is better than ours!
    BTW - I had mine was upped to 2 gigs.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Layne
    You can live with 1.5GB, no problem. On the other hand, I can report that I saw more performance improvement than I would have expected when I bumped my machine from 1.5 to 2.

Just curious, are you locked in to 1.5 with the cheaper machine? How many memory slots does it have?
    Well, the board I had in mind (el-cheapo) had only two slots. That would be enough for 2GB though I don't think I have the cash for that right now.
    The option I was given for 2x 1024MB is a great one - except it's ECC Registered RAM which only works on a small handful of motherboards.

What a dilemma... if I had money to burn, this wouldn't be an issue....
    I hate being poor.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    Well, the board I had in mind (el-cheapo) had only two slots. That would be enough for 2GB though I don't think I have the cash for that right now.
    The option I was given for 2x 1024MB is a great one - except it's ECC Registered RAM which only works on a small handful of motherboards.

What a dilemma... if I had money to burn, this wouldn't be an issue....
    I hate being poor.
    Don't worry, 1.5 will work fine. I would try to focus on other areas of your system that might cause you bottlenecks, (i.e faster hard drive, cpu, etc.)

That extra half gig is definitely a nice luxury. I can run kitchen-sink templates (i.e. it's all in there) with 2 gigs where with 1.5 I had to be a little carefull. But it is by no means a necessity.
    - Layne

I've never had any problems even with full orchestra and the Steinway at 1.0 GB of RAM, so I'd echo the calls for the 1.5 option. I suppose if you're going to do really extensive layering a la Danielle you'd need more than I have but for most purposes 1.5 should be plenty.

I only have a 1 gig in my computer. I was going to up it to 2 gigs by adding 2 more 512 chips, but since I can freeze and disconnect synths in Sonar 4, I no longer have memory problems when loading large GPO orchestra. Though I'll probably buy another gig of ram when I have the funds to do so.
    Tim

Edit: Hardware died.

Go Back to forum