• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rewire Questions

Share/Bookmark

Rewire Questions

Was thinking of trying Giga using rewire to Nuendo. The sound card is an E-MU 1820M (2 midi in/out plus 16 in/out audio used in combination with an ADAT XT20 (8 analog converters plus ADAT lightpipe) and a real mixer), this setup works great with Nuendo so I'd like to keep the hardware as is. The E-MU card has yet to develop GSIF drivers (box is using the E-MU ASIO drivers). Now for the questions . . . Can Giga be used in rewire without GSIF drivers? Will Giga still get midi without GSIF drivers? What are my options without GSIF drivers?

Re: Rewire Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Bassmankr
    Was thinking of trying Giga using rewire to Nuendo. The sound card is an E-MU 1820M (2 midi in/out plus 16 in/out audio used in combination with an ADAT XT20 (8 analog converters plus ADAT lightpipe) and a real mixer), this setup works great with Nuendo so I'd like to keep the hardware as is. The E-MU card has yet to develop GSIF drivers (box is using the E-MU ASIO drivers). Now for the questions . . . Can Giga be used in rewire without GSIF drivers? Will Giga still get midi without GSIF drivers? What are my options without GSIF drivers?
    I'm certainly not the foremost authority on this, but having done exactly what you're looking to do, my understanding is that no, you won't be able to use Giga in any capacity (Rewire or otherwise) unless your sound card has GSIF drivers. However, although GSIF 2.x drivers are now recommended with GS3, I'm successfully running Giga via Rewire in Nueundo using GSIF 1.x drivers with my Dakota card. It's not the optimal solution, but it gets the job done.

Hope this helps,
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong; but my understanding is that GS3 *will* run in rewire mode without the GSIF drivers. Of course, I came to this after already purchasing an interface with GSIF support, albeit GSIF 1.x, in preparation for GS3.

Without the GSIF drivers, though, I think you'd still be stuck if you wanted to use GS3 stand-alone (to edit and assemble instruments, say).

Mega

Megabyte that's it you are right with all what you said! GSIF is not needed for running in Rewire mode since it uses the audio driver from your host. For gigastudio editor you do need GSIF driver. But now there is the possibility to edit instruments in gigastudio (quickeedit) itself and save the instrument as a GSI file so you actually don't necesarilly a GSIF driver too for editing instrum,ents.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    Megabyte that's it you are right with all what you said! GSIF is not needed for running in Rewire mode since it uses the audio driver from your host.
    Well, that's good to know. Thanks for straightening my thinking out!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Next time it's your turn!

Hold on a second... When I was trying to install GS 2.54 on my laptop (onboard soundcard), there was a error apearing that said " No GSIF detected" so installation was canceled. on GS3 menu you can see its scaning gsif driver at the begining.
    Ok, using standalone without GSIF is logical but I'm not sure if you can pass instalation process.
    Korayus

The question was "is it possible tor run GS 3 in rewire mode without having a GSIF compatible soundcard" 2.54 is not rewire compatible. I don't know if 3.0 will install without GSIF compatible driver, but i think it will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Resident
    The question was "is it possible tor run GS 3 in rewire mode without having a GSIF compatible soundcard" 2.54 is not rewire compatible. I don't know if 3.0 will install without GSIF compatible driver, but i think it will do.
    It does install without GSIF.

If you don't have GSIF-compatible hardware, one thing you could try would be installing Windows Millenium on the system. There is a WDM emulation mode that allows some audio chipsets to work with GS 2.x. I know this because I'm using it now on a Pentium III 600 MHz as a backup Giga box. There's a low-end Crystal Audio CS4xxx on the mobo, which is giving me no problems unless I try to run some other OS.

Obviously WinME is not much fun to use and can have other problems, but in this case it is a completely barren installation except for Giga. From a latency standpoint it appears to perform just as well as my best PC (to the limits of its HD, RAM, etc). So to me it seems completely worth it.

Go Back to forum