• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is it my imagination, or............

Share/Bookmark

Is it my imagination, or............

..........is it true?

GS3 seems to be WAY better than Halion 2 or Kontakt, in terms of using computer's resources. I've made tests on the same computer, using the same sound (instrument).

I know that people notice higher INDICATION of CPU usage in v3 than in 2.54...but in reality:

- GS3 gets higher polyphony than the other samplers
    - lower memory usage (for the same instrument/sound/patch)....I know that you can't cross the 1.3GB RAM load limit, but still...
    - faster loading time.

I mean....by far!! It's incredible....It has an awesome disk streaming system that is many years ahead of the competition.
    I've tried all sort of settings combinations for all the samplers. For example, they ARE setting when GS3 gets lower polyphony that the others, but then the memory usage would be in that case infinitely lower than the others (close to nothing)....You get the point.

Except for a few bugs (which I have no doubt will be addressed sooner or later), the only downside I can see at the moment is the EDITOR. Which unfortunately is so left behind. I'd say it's a joke comparing to Halion or Kontakt. BUT: I think it HAD to be like this to allow high efficiency harddisk streaming.

Other thoughts?

Re: Is it my imagination, or............

Can you give some numbers and names for the rest of us to compare performance? There are so many variables involved that is impossible to agree without considering every aspect.
    BTW, if you can answer one question as a GS3 user, is it possible to freeze GS intruments like the other plugins? (I already asked this in a separate thread but there are no answers so far)

Quote Originally Posted by mihmar
    ..........is it true?

YES! it is.

my guessing is: 30% more of all (more sample into ram, more voices)
    AND 2 times better latency.
    Digital AudionetworX

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    YES! it is.

my guessing is: 30% more of all (more sample into ram, more voices)
    AND 2 times better latency.
    Can you give some numbers please? I am trying to determine wether I should migrate to GS3 or not, and so far I only found enthusiasts talking a lot and giving no real information. The only real information I have so far is that GS3 does not support freezing (wich is terrible, because there is no use being "more efficient" in ram usage if you are stuck to your physical limit!) and that it eats up your CPU by 10-15% only to begin with. Not to mention that rewire and some editing features still do not work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    Can you give some numbers please? I am trying to determine wether I should migrate to GS3 or not, and so far I only found enthusiasts talking a lot and giving no real information. The only real information I have so far is that GS3 does not support freezing (wich is terrible, because there is no use being "more efficient" in ram usage if you are stuck to your physical limit!) and that it eats up your CPU by 10-15% only to begin with. Not to mention that rewire and some editing features still do not work properly.
    your right! asap i will convert some sounds into kontakt and to a a/b test.

i did some testing with basic simular instruments though.

what you mean with freezing? GS3 is not a VSTi or a sequencer app.
    so why should it support freezing?
    you can stream into your sequencer app and bounce tracks to disk.
    Digital AudionetworX

Mihmar,

What do you find better about other editors?
    Personally, I've always had a problem with Kontakt's lack of right-click options and the way zones sometimes get hidden from view in Halion...

I haven't seen a sampler editor other than GS which makes building instruments so easy.

I'm also xtremely interested in some performance comparisons between these 3 samplers.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital AudionetworX
    your right! asap i will convert some sounds into kontakt and to a a/b test.

i did some testing with basic simular instruments though.

what you mean with freezing? GS3 is not a VSTi or a sequencer app.
    so why should it support freezing?
    you can stream into your sequencer app and bounce tracks to disk.
    Because freezing is completely different from bouncing. When you bounce an intrument effects are bounced together. If you do not wish effects you have to bypass them manually. When you freeze an instument, the sequencer creates a wave file that contains an identical output signal from the VST, routed to its channel. That means, the intrument behaves like it was active, but it is not active nor consuming system resources, RAM or processing power. If you change you mind, you just click one button and everything is restored for your pleasure.

Now, try to do it without freezing...

Go Back to forum