• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Your Own Template(s)

Share/Bookmark

Your Own Template(s)

People:

Are any of you out there in GPOland used to working off of a self-created "master template" for your new projects? I use one, and just wonder if any of you have one you like.

With the new keyswitch patches, mine has become quite a bit more streamlined. To wit:

Maddux GPO Template
    10/21/04

Piccolo Solo KS
    Flute Solo KS
    Alto Flute Solo
    Oboe 2 Modern Solo
    Oboe 3 Modern Solo
    English Horn 2 Solo
    Bb Clarinet Plr 2
    Bass Clarinet Solo
    Bassoon 2 Solo
    Bassoon 1 Plr 1
    Contrabassoon 1 Solo

French Horn 1 Plr 1 KS
    French Horn 1 Plr 2 KS
    French Horn 1 Solo KS
    FHorn Overlay F
    FHorn Overlay F ag
    FHorn Overlay FF
    Trumet 1 Plr 1 KS
    Trumpet 1 Plr 3 KS
    Trumpet Overlay
    Trumpet Overlay ag
    Tenor Trombone Plr 1 KS
    Tenor Trombone Plr 2 KS
    Trombone Overlay
    Trombone Overlay ag
    Tuba Overlay
    Tuba Overlay ag
    Tuba 1 Solo

Glockenspiel KS
    Xylophone KS
    Vibraphone KS
    Crotales KS
    Tubular Bells KS
    Handbells KS
    Celesta
    Percussion Toys KS
    Cymbals
    Snares KS
    Timpani KS
    Bass Drum KS

Pipe Organ: Flutes
    Pipe Organ: Full Organ

Harp 2 KS

Violins 1 Combo KS
    Violins 2 Combo KS
    Violas Combo KS
    Cellos Combo KS
    Basses Combo KS
    Violin 2 Strad KS Solo
    Cello 2 KS Solo

These are all loaded into 7 instances of Kontakt in Sonar 3. Because of my DFD settings, only 25% of memory is used, and I notice no performance flaws whatsoever.

Templates, anyone?

Thumbs up Re: Your Own Template(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle
    You know I have never made one. Im as organized as a hill of ants appears.
    Then you must be well organized. Ants have a very organized social structure.
    Styxx

Re: Your Own Template(s)

These are all loaded into 7 instances of Kontakt in Sonar 3. Because of my DFD settings, only 25% of memory is used, and I notice no performance flaws whatsoever.
    Only 25%? I must have missed something because mine is maxing it out with DFD and this template (but I only have 1.5gb ram). I didn't include the organs or harp either. What are your DFD settings? Also, how well is it holding up with a full tutti? If this is possible, then I am going to be VERY happy once I figure out how to make it work on my system. Maybe that extra 512 would do wonders. Are you bouncing tracks?

Well, I guess it is possible to load all of these - not with GPO Studio though. Sonar gives me an extra 200mb - 300mb free Ram vs. GPO Studio due to the empty last instance. All in all, without the solo strings and without the harp and organ, my total ram load for Sonar is 917mb. Studio had it at 1200+mb with the same setup. I suppose that extra 512mb (assuming you have 2gb of ram) will definitely allow for a complete load. I assume you have to mean that CPU is less than 25% and not mem usage...... I am still curious about a full project with this template including a full tutti.

Quote Originally Posted by jkerr
    Only 25%? I must have missed something because mine is maxing it out with DFD and this template (but I only have 1.5gb ram).
    Jkerr,

Did you go into the Kontakt player and reduce the memory footprint for the player? Each instance grabs X amount of memory when it comes up in DFD mode, and my understanding is that the amount is affected by this setting. You might try experimenting with this to see if you can get closer to the full template loaded in a smaller overall footprint.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by David_Maddux
    People:

Are any of you out there in GPOland used to working off of a self-created "master template" for your new projects? I use one, and just wonder if any of you have one you like.
    Hey, David.

I'm just getting started with GPO and so haven't completely settled into the workflow with it. However, this is a feature that I should really look into (perhaps using yours as a good starting point!). I've got 3 gigs of memory, so it seems like I should be able to load yours without DFD.

Hmmm, yet another reason to go down to the studio this morning...
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

I should be more specific about loading my template into Sonar.

My laptop is a Toshiba A45-S250. The CPU is Pentium 4 2.80 GHz, and the machine is maxed out at 2GB of memory.

My DFD settings:
    Preload Buffer Size: 144KB per sample
    Reserved Voices: 64
    Voice Buffer Size: 144KB

The Christmas In Killarney I just did was large, and often tutti. Not even so much as a crackle, pop, or wobble.

The new GPO update is more stellar than I could have wished!

Well, it seems that I can load everything (minus harp, organ and solo strings) in about 450mb-500mb with your settings - which puts me in an even better position. However, I am having problems with the timpani. If I do a 32nd note roll heading into an expressive portion, my CPU (Athlon 64 - 3200) is causing my Sonar CPU meter to reach its max and possibly even drop out (which is indicative of task managers CPU meter). However, GPO shows less than 15% on the CPU meter .

Also, what is your sound card latency set at? Is it possible you could post your song to possibly hear some results on a completed song. I am thinking that I may go buy a 1gb stick to replace my third 512mb stick - or network it on 2 computers (which is how I had it before). The CPU meter is stumping me though. Have you tried a large timpani roll along with your other instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by jkerr
    ...what is your sound card latency set at?
    My sound card settings:

Driver Mode: WDM/KS
    I/O Buffer Size: 64KB
    Audio Bit Driver Depth: 16
    Buffers In Playback Queue: 3
    Buffer Size: 30.0 msec

At those settings, there is the slightest bit of latency, but not enough to foul things up. And I get no dropouts or glitches.

Well, I can now see after playing with higher latencies that the playback will be smoother. I was running it at 256 buffer and ASIO. I still don't max out my meter unless I play that darn timpani in 32nd notes. The timpani alone (both with and without DFD) can take up 4050% of my CPU if played fast enough. Anyone else having problems with the timpani? The piano even doesn't take up that much. I assume it has to do with the release trails.

By the way, David, your orchestration sounded beautiful and real inspiring. From a technical standpoint, it was real inspiring knowing that all came off of one computer without bouncing.

Go Back to forum