• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Using the GPO Organ" - A tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Share/Bookmark

Thumbs up "Using the GPO Organ" - A tutorial by Terry Dwyer

After writing remarkable tutorials for harpsichord and harp, Terry Dwyer has written another fantastic tutorial "Using the GPO Organ"

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_OrganTutorial.html

This tutorial is a pracical guide to the GPO Organ. It offers guidance to the non-organist who wants to achieve a big ogan sound in a hurry. It then focuses on more detailed information for those who want to delve deeper.

The tutorial discusses: The different kinds of stops and their relationships, the different pitches of the pipes, the nature of the GPO organ, setting it up in a sequencer, Using the GPO organ (manuals & pedal, the swell effect and placement), composing for the organ, and more...

There is also an addendum on using the extra stops now available with new GPO updates.

This tutorial is an excellent adjunct to Glenn Rudolph’s Organ Tutorial at http://www.garritan.com/OrganTutorial.html.

Thank you Terry for taking the time and trouble to write another excellent tutorial! This will be an enormous benefit to GPO Users!

Gary Garritan

Smile Re: "Using the GPO Organ" - A tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Relative good insight into the organ stuff, though I don't agree some points in it regarding hints about how to compose for the organ.

For example:

"Fast scales are not possible" - Indeed they are difficult to produce well, but certainly possible for any good organist!

"...if you give him a pedal trill on bottom C whilst he is playing at the top of the keyboard with his hands, he will likely fall over" - hehehe... I'm exploded from laughter when I read this paragraph. Of course this is very difficult position but still possible for good organist. However, trills on the bottom C (specially if you're gona use powerful 16' or 32' stops) will sound more like rumble or earthquake if the trill should be played fast.

Anyway, the tutorial was very good and well written.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: "Using the GPO Organ" - A tutorial by Terry Dwyer

OK, Falcon1, it all depends on your/my definition of fast...

As to the pedal trill thing, it was meant to make people smile - glad I succeeded.

My whole point in this section was to warn non-organists form treating the pedals like a manual. You clever organists will know what to write and what not to write.

Terry Dwyer

Quote Originally Posted by Poolman
    OK, Falcon1, it all depends on your/my definition of fast...

As to the pedal trill thing, it was meant to make people smile - glad I succeeded.

My whole point in this section was to warn non-organists form treating the pedals like a manual. You clever organists will know what to write and what not to write.

Terry Dwyer
    Hi Terry, of course organists can't play the scales with their feet as fast as with their fingers - but they can by pretty fast!

Heheheh... I thought so - but if someone took it seriously then he now know that it's possible.

However, some of the hints I have seen in the years about how to compose for the organ has always had somekind of "looking down" view on the pedal. Don't know if it's because there are many organists which rarely use their feets or what. But the feet is able to produce remarkable complex lines and fast too. However, if you're gona have the both feets play at the same time then you should be spare on the really fast notes.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Talking Re: "Using the GPO Organ" - A tutorial by Terry Dwyer

Most excellent and very timely since I'm deep into an Unheard Beethoven organ composition! Thankfully I had the foresight to put the pedal line into a separate staff to take advantage of the suggestions here. Hopefully I'll have this piece posted in demos within the week, incorporating the suggestions from this tutorial and some of the new tonal effects in the update.

Quote Originally Posted by gardibolt
    Most excellent and very timely since I'm deep into an Unheard Beethoven organ composition! Thankfully I had the foresight to put the pedal line into a separate staff to take advantage of the suggestions here. Hopefully I'll have this piece posted in demos within the week, incorporating the suggestions from this tutorial and some of the new tonal effects in the update.
    Garibolt,

Looking forward to hearing the Unheard Beethoven organ composition. It will be great to hear another unheard work of LVB.

Glad that Terry's tutorial was a help with your important work!

Gary Garritan

My Unheard Beethoven organ work is now live over in Demos & I'd love to hear comments.

Mark

Wow.

Thanks for sharing this tutorial. I love coming here and learning new things!! Better than school!

Hey Gary, maybe you should start the Garritan Conservatory or something.

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Go Back to forum