• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS3 & Sonar 3/4 - Stability?Rewire?Opinions?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 & Sonar 3/4 - Stability?Rewire?Opinions?

HI Everyone!

I'm very seriously considering upgrading to GS3, but I would like to hear people's experiences using it as a Rewire device in Sonar 3/4 and their opinions about GS3, especially in terms of its stability. I've come across some contradictory reviews on the Web (i.e. works great with Sonar/Sucks with Sonar/Use it on a separate machine). Before I drop some cash, I want to hear the group's feedback. Thanks in advance!

Matt

Re: GS3 & Sonar 3/4 - Stability?Rewire?Opinions?

This won't be much help, but, depending on how many instruments you use, and if you end up using gigapulse I'd really recommend using different systems.

I use sonar 4 pe and gs 3 each on their own machine, and it is really easy to top the cpu out in giga with gigapulse running.

I don 't use too many voices or anything but i can easily see them conflicting.

Also, their is the fact that sonar does get a little performance boost out of hyperthreading, but, if you install GS3 you WILL need to turn it off, compromsing performance further.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I hope it helps a little.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks for the help Steve. I was afraid that you would say that (about the need for two machines). Any idea why Giga3 doesn't like hyperthreading?

Matt

This won't be much help, but, depending on how many instruments you use, and if you end up using gigapulse I'd really recommend using different systems.

I use sonar 4 pe and gs 3 each on their own machine, and it is really easy to top the cpu out in giga with gigapulse running.

I don 't use too many voices or anything but i can easily see them conflicting.

Also, their is the fact that sonar does get a little performance boost out of hyperthreading, but, if you install GS3 you WILL need to turn it off, compromsing performance further.

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but I hope it helps a little.

Cheers,
    Steve[/QUOTE]

Note completely sure, but a lot of applications don't like it. But then alot do. I am guessing with gigastudio it has something to do with how giga uses kernel level access to get the necessary speed to be able to handle all of its polyphony etc. But I may well be wrong.

Cheers,
    Steve

I have S3PE and I use G3 always as a Rewire instrument. I have problems using the quick bounce in Sonar but that's fixable.
    Gigapulse is a CPU hog. I can go up to 6 but use only 4.

hv

Similar results here. Tried doing splits with a big piano lib, sending each split to it's own GigaPulse. 7 stuttered and popped all over the place. 5 was pretty good 99% of the time. 4 was perfectly clean.

I think once gs3 learns to take advantage of hyperthreading, it'll change things. Specially with a multi-processor motherboard. It would be a natural to spread GigaPulse processing across CPU's just like Sonar and DirectX instruments and effects have been doing the last year or so with their own kernel-level interfaces.

Howard

Go Back to forum