• Register
  • Help

Topic: How di I desinstall?

Share/Bookmark

How di I desinstall?

Hi,

This new version seem to be nice, except the fact I have a BIG BIG problem with timpani (see previous post)
    I can't find a solution because when I play only this instrument, it takes over 55% of CPU ressource! So it doesn't match with the entire orchestra and I have a big crash.
    First, the only solution I have is to make an audio track (into dp 4) but in an other way, I wish I could desinstall the update and play the music with the first version, witch doesn't have this kind of problem.
    Do I have to remove all,and make another install?
    Regards.
    Laurent

Re: How di I desinstall?

Laurent,

I have no idea why you would be having such a problem with the timpani. We have not encountered anything similar to what you describe with our beta testers but, since your problem is apparently limited to the timpani, why not just copy the old timpani instrument from the backup folder (no re-naming necessary) and use the older timpani instrument instead. That way you can have all of the new features for the other instruments and avoid the problem you have encountered with the new timpani.

Here's a modified version of the instruction I gave in another thread:

1. Go to the drive location of your GPO installation and open the “GPO Library” folder. For most people this will be the path: Program Files/Garritan Personal Orchestra/GPO Library.

2. In the GPO Library folder you will find a folder named “Backup GPO Library.” This folder contains all of the older instrument files.

3. Search the Backup folder to find the timpani.nki and timpani.txt files (Percussion folder).

4. Copy these two files to the corresponding Percussion folder of the main library.

The older instrument will then show on the instrument list in the player so that you can use it instead of the new one.

Tom

[QUOTE=Tom Hopkins]Laurent,

I have no idea why you would be having such a problem with the timpani. We have not encountered anything similar to what you describe with our beta testers but, since your problem is apparently limited to the timpani, why not just copy the old timpani instrument from the backup folder (no re-naming necessary) and use the older timpani instrument instead. That way you can have all of the new features for the other instruments and avoid the problem you have encountered with the new timpani.

Hi Tom,

Thank you for your answer. If I'm the only one who have problem with timpani, I guess the problem could be in an other place than GPO. But to be sure I'll try what you told me to do.
    If you want, I can send you an Mp3 of a beginning of a piece I'm working on, you'll ear the problem....
    I'm using dp4, and when I activate the performance window, I see the processor buffer in the red, the certainly why I got these crashes.

regards
    laurent
    On mac G 5 2x2,5 Ghz, 2,5 Go RAM

Thank you Tom... I changed the patch and I don't have problem any more! It seems that I really have problems with the new patch. I didn't change anything in my presets and the old one works very well while the new one crashes a lot

strange!

regards
    Laurent

I am also going to have to investigate this. While testing out all the new features, I noticed the timpani KS eating up processor power like crazy, especially the new "playable" rolls. I play three quick notes in succession and my processor light starts blinking like crazy, and there's a lot of pops and clicks. I'm using a Mac G4 Quicksilver 867 single; 1.5 RAM. I figured it had to do with my buffer settings or something, which I have yet to mess with, but noticing that someone else is having trouble, I may have to reinstall the old version as suggested.

Let me make a suggestion: The playable rolls are very processor-intensive because they make it possible to play a great many notes very quickly plus they have more complex programming. The default polyphony setting for this instrument is "64." Reduce it to "16," or even less than that if you feel the trade-off in sound is acceptable. That should greatly reduce the CPU requirements. People who have slower computers may wish to follow my instructions above for restoring the original patch. Remember, the library was designed on a P4 2.4Ghz machine and tested on a 3Ghz machine. Significantly slower machines may find the new KS playable rolls difficult to handle. Instruments like the timpani, which have long decay times, are the most demanding.

Tom

In Digital Performer, go to "Configure Audio System"..... then select Configure Hardware driver, set the buffer size as high as it will go, perhaps 1024. This high setting will increase latency, but if you are not recording tracks you won't know it. It will allow the CPU and other things to keep up, and not glitch and carry on like a cheap watch. Lowering this setting reduces latency (delay) to a minimal amount that is hardly noticeable, but the tradeoff, is that it is harder for the system to keep up, (maybe more clicks, pops and dropouts) a lower buffer setting is ideal when "playing in" parts to audio or midi tracks. If you change this setting to lower the latency, don't forget to put it back when you are done, you will inevitably open a different project and the system will act like crap, and you won't remember why.
    Now, go to the "Configure Studio Size" and make sure that the "disk read/write size" is at least 200, and the "buffer size per voice" is at least double that.
    Also back in the "Configure Hardware Driver" box,... experiment with the "Host Buffer Multiplier". It is probably set to (1), start the sequence, and watch the performance meter, now change the "Host Buffer Multiplier" to (2) and start the sequence again and watch the performance meter. You may find that the system works far better with these recommendations, compared to what you may have had. Read the manual.... especially the getting started manual.

There are alot of variables with systems, which is why Digital Performer has all these adjustments available for the user. Someone could be using DP with a five year old, slow, single processor Mac with only 256 meg of ram, while other folks could be using the same exact DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) on a new dual processor G5 with 8 gig of ram.

I am no expert, but you must experiment with these settings, you can't blow anything up

DPDan

Read the manual.... especially the getting started manual.

Hi DPDAN,

I'm confessing that I didn't read so much the manual... but I guess I have to study with a teacher, or someone who knows well the soft,because there's a lot to learn!

regards
    Laurent

you got that right, there is alot to learn, we will never know it all, take it a day at a time.....
    DPDan

Go Back to forum