• Register
  • Help

Topic: If any one of the Masters were still alive today -

Share/Bookmark

Question If any one of the Masters were still alive today -

who amongst us could give them a run for the money? Whomever, I have my choices.
    I come up with some good ones doughnut eye?
    Styxx

Re: If any one of the Masters were still alive today -

Good topic, Styxx. Frankly, nobody living that we know of. I honestly think that Bach, Mozart, and Beethoven (and maybe Josquin DePrez, too) were an abnormaility/anomoly/gift from God/whatever you want to call it. We will probably never see their like again.

For the others? I'm sure it will happen at some point. While there are some really outstanding composers right now, nobody comes up to the level of say Mahler, Stravinsky, Copland et.al. I mean this in overall terms - not only just the magnitude of their music but also their combination (in both composition and orchestration) of sophistication, craftsmanship, and creativity.

I also really must stress, no one that we know of. There could certainly be somebody out there that simply hasn't made the "scene" yet. I just think it's unlikely given the current state of general education; and, the minimal emphasis placed on the arts by most parents. With exceptions you could probably count on one hand, the "great masters" were all trained. Frequently for many more years than the standard today.

Then you have to contend with you can't teach. That certain "something" that great composers are born with. If we had three lifetimes to live, we could develop all the necessary skills and still not have the intangibles to reach that magic place at will.

-Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Some of those greats were more popular once they were dead. Bach especially. So we probably won't know in this lifetime!

Rob

Thumbs up Re: If any one of the Masters were still alive today -

Good points CString! There is definitely less stress on the arts in school than in the times of the Great Masters. Today, there is more emphasis on sports than any other even studies in schools. Plus we must realize the way in which society lives today. Mostly fast pace rat race with no real length of time to learn the arts as they did.
    Yeah, good points to ponder CString! Thanks.
    Styxx

I have to admit, knowing the thread starter (Styxx), I pretty much expected an initial post like "...they'd be scratching the inside of their coffin." A serious topic? I had to turn on the TV to make sure I hadn't been secretly relocated to BizarroWorld.
    -E

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson."

Most of them would probably have a good laugh at the stuff coming out today. How many symphonies could Haydn crank out with Acid Pro?
    But it's still obvious today with all these cool tools for making music that you can tell who knows how to make music and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy_Rhino
    I have to admit, knowing the thread starter (Styxx), I pretty much expected an initial post like "...they'd be scratching the inside of their coffin." A serious topic? I had to turn on the TV to make sure I hadn't been secretly relocated to BizarroWorld.
    Maybe, or maybe something on the line as "they would slap us all with their powdered wigs?" I think you are right. I'll go turn on the tele as well.
    Styxx

Sadly, it seems today's most popular musicians are determined more by their attractiveness than the beauty of their music. However, only time will tell who will be the masters of today.

Another problem is orchestras (I just back from one) usually like to play masters more often than newer composers, which can also be sad.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I vote for Karlheinz Stockhausen. But there's also Varèse, Satie, Ives, Lutoslawski, Bartok, Parmegiani, John Cage, Takemitsu, Berio - all masters.

Go Back to forum