• Register
  • Help

Topic: Wide-Spread Stereo

Share/Bookmark

Wide-Spread Stereo

People:

One of the best plug-ins to benefit GPO output, IMHO, is the BBE Sonic Maximizer. It somehow heightens the stereo perspective (think: deeper, broader), and makes everything seem more live.

I highly recommend it. I have it installed [as a VST plug-in on Sonar 3's Master fader] as a permanent fixture of my Master GPO Template.

Re: Wide-Spread Stereo

I have it and it is an awesome tool. Also have the external unite that I use for sound reinforcement for my youth theatre. Nice.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    I have it and it is an awesome tool.
    Of course you have it, Styxx. But then, I think of you as the GPO Poster Child.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if it works with Mac OSX?

Karl

Karl - I believe it's a DirectX-only plugin, so I guess that would be PC-only as well...unless there is some DirectX plugin wrapper for the Mac that I'm not aware of.

I've been wanting to get this plugin for awhile...How does one use it? Do you apply it to the entire mix or use an instance per track?

BBE is nice. I have two plugins which I use all the time for enhancment: the "Spectralizer" from Steinberg and the Waves "Stereo Imager". The Spectralizer has a very nice 'kick' switch which is ideal for lifiting a percussion instrument out of a mix. Spectralizer makes enhancment that doesn't sound like it has been treated artificially. You can however, 'abuse' it's settings and get the sound of one of those high frequency 'stimulators', but with no added noise. a GREAT plugin imo.

The Stereo Imager allows control of the overall stereo width, a really important function particularily for orchestral music. The OZONE plugin is good too for modifiying the stereo width of individual bands, but the 'exciter' portion sounds too juiced for orchestral music.

I used to own a hardware box of the BBE and several other 'enhancers' but then I learned to make better mixes in the first place so I didn't need much of any enhancment. With the PC now, I find the old enhancements work well when brought forward into the digital age via plugin technology..

Quote Originally Posted by David_Maddux
    Of course you have it, Styxx. But then, I think of you as the GPO Poster Child.
    Hmmmm?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    Hmmmm?
    Meaning, "the very quintessence of everything noble and worthy in a GPO user".

I don't own it, but I've listened to its after effects... I'll say its a very nice program. Has it been updated recently. It's been out a while now. I lost touch with the whole plug in scene. My budget only allows for 'free ware' stuff so I stopped dreaming about these type of expensive plugins.

Go Back to forum