• Register
  • Help

Topic: OK, now that I added 2G Ram ...

Share/Bookmark

OK, now that I added 2G Ram ...

Now that the computer has 3G Ram, where will I notice the difference? Hyperthread is on. My wife will be composing for orchestra soon.

I saw that the CPU level red lined with only a modest group of instruments playing the included Sonar 2 part invention. I do not understand why this would be.Thanks. Rich

D865PERL
    P4 3.0
    MidiSport 8x8
    MOTU 2408
    SONAR 4
    GPO current upgrade
    Moog V
    Pro-53
    Gigastudio 3 on 2nd computer

Thumbs up Re: OK, now that I added 2G Ram ...

Three gigs of RAM! Krist, you should be able to run all of GPO with no problems plus half of New York City at best! Load that sucker up again and let us know what happens.
    We'll keep an ear open for that loud Kaboom just incase you overload!
    Good luck and Wow, three gigs of ram!
    Styxx

Re: OK, now that I added 2G Ram ...

Rich,

First of all, turn off hyperthreading. NI doesn't support it. It will only cause problems.

Tom

Sorry to have to break this to you, but Windows is currently capped at using 2 GB Ram max. Once Longhorn goes 64-bit, (like OS X), then it will be able to use up to 8 GB Ram.

Perhaps Mac will be at 128 bit by then.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Thanks for all the comments, but I bought it. Now it's mine.

Why do MOBOs accept 4gig? What can use it? I gather it doesn't matter that Windows Setup and System Info recognizes its presence? This really confuses me. As they say, "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing." I guess I didn't know as much as I thought.

Also, won't disabling HT have a negative effect on SONAR 4?

My original purpose was to provide plenty of room for Garrittan Personal Orchestra,soft synths, reverb, etc.

The good news: I can always move 1gig to the GS3 machine for 2gig there.

I really appreciate those who take time to respond.
    Rich

I have hyperthreading enabled in my BIOS but have it disabled in Sonar. I actually had much higher CPU usage plus pops and clicks with the NI plugins. Disabled hyperthreading in Sonar and CPU went way down and the pops and clicks disappeared.

Kontakt will definitely only use 2 GB of memory. This is the normal cap for user mode applications. It can be raised to 3 GB using a switch in the boot.ini file but your applications have to be programmed to use it. Kontakt is not programmed for it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichM
    Thanks for all the comments, but I bought it. Now it's mine.

Why do MOBOs accept 4gig? What can use it? I gather it doesn't matter that Windows Setup and System Info recognizes its presence?
    MOBOs have multiple slots to accept different configurations of Ram. If you have four slots, you can put in four 512 MB sticks, two 1 GB sticks, etc depending upon one's needs. Same thing with two slots or six slots...it's to offer flexibility.

The system will recognize more than 2 GB of Ram, it just can't use it. Even though AMD has a 64 bit chip, Windows 32 bit architecture is the chokepoint.

The key for GPO speed/number of instances under Windows is to have a fast CPU, the best Ram, and configure Windows to turn off all unnecessary programs to free up Ram and resources.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

I don't know about windows XP, but windows 2000 Server (a product of the same line as windows XP) supports 2 GB of ram per process. You can have more, but a single process (like Cubase) can only address 2GB of it.

-John

I have removed 1gig and am now at 2gig installed. Now I notice that in system info only 1.5 gig are useable. What happened to the other .5 gig?

I have already noticed an improvement by turning off HT from within Sonar4. I will be applying some of the tweaks suggested later today. Thanks for your responses. You are all a wonderful resource for those of interested in expanding our knowledge.

Rich

I respect Tom's advice and certainly his vast knowledge. However, HT is working very well here with all NI products except Battery. Kontakt and GPO work fine for me with CubaseSX and HT enabled.

I believe that there are certain combinations of MOBOs, chipsets, processor speed (and type) and RAM quantity and type that can cause HT problems.

I have constructed a number of DAWs based on the Intel D875PBZ motherboard with a Northwood P4 3.0C GHz processor and 2 GB of Kingston RAM and M-Audio 1010LT audio cards and have no problems with ANY audio related software with HT enabled. They work great and have a tremendous amount of power and are very, very stable. One thing that must be done with this mobo is to make sure that your using the most recent BIOS update to use HT and audio software.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

Go Back to forum