• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Any Sibelius users not having problems...

Share/Bookmark

Any Sibelius users not having problems...

Any Sibelius users not having problems with midi program changes?

Re: Any Sibelius users not having problems...

Not that I know of - it's a pain. Come on Tascam, we need a fix!

Have you tried Jon Fairhurst's trick of setting the note duration in Sib to 99% instead of 100%. Seems to solve some of the problems some of the time.

I haven't bought GS yet because of this problem. If I can't change instrument on the fly when working in Sibelius there's really no point in owning this product. I can't believe there are so few of us complaining about this problem. There has to be thousands of Sibelius & Finale users like me who are monitoring this forum waiting to hear the good news.

Quote Originally Posted by kip
    I haven't bought GS yet because of this problem. If I can't change instrument on the fly when working in Sibelius there's really no point in owning this product. I can't believe there are so few of us complaining about this problem. There has to be thousands of Sibelius & Finale users like me who are monitoring this forum waiting to hear the good news.
    I am a Sibelius user and have been for 12 years, but I think that the reason you haven't heard from many people is that most Sib users are more interested in notation than sound. People who use Giga tend to use sequencers (IMO) so I'm not surprised that more people aren't responding to your post. I have to say that I wouldn't dream of using Sibelius for playback, but that's just me...!

Daryl

There are quite a few Sib users contributing to the various GS forums, and quite a few questions about GS on the Sib forums. I think there are a lot of people out there who just use Sib and Giga - like me.

I can see that people who are after the greatest possible realism, or who want to incorporate live audio as well as MIDI, would want to use a sequencer instead of Sibelius. But it's certainly not absolutely necessary, and Sibelius are gradually adding sequencer-like features to their product, so the boundaries are becoming more blurred.

In any case, the problem that this thread is addressing is not specific to Sibelius - it's the fact that GS3 doesn't observe program change messages in the MIDI stream, and this also affects users of sequencers.

I've been able to perform program changes from Sonar 3. I tend to work within a single bank on a single channel, but I've done inadvertent bank changes, so that seems to work well too.

Sibelius has always had flakey program changes when working outside of bank 0. I've found that I've needed to type in ~P1,12 (bank=1, patch=12) - even if I'm already on bank 1. And sometimes going into the Sibelius mixer and setting the bank to a non-zero value doesn't have any effect. I'd solve this by placing ~P1,0 or something like that on the first note of the staff.

The above problems occurred with both Sib 2 and 3 when driving GS2.5. I've been working almost exclusively with Sonar lately, so I haven't tried patch changes with Sib 3 -> GS3. But patch changes definitely work with Sonar.

-JF

The GS3 patch change problem is quite well documented in another post -

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=24772

and it's not only Sibelius users complaining there.

I'm surprised you've had problems with program changes in Sib and GS2.5 - I've been using Sib3 and GS2.5 for years with no problems at all. But I tend to use sound sets and Sib's Dictionary, rather than ~Pxx, so maybe the explanation lies therein.

But GS3 just seems to randomly ignore patch changes from Sib, whether via ~P commands or via the Dictionary. Your trick of setting the duration to 99% has helped (thanks for that one!) but I still get some problems.

Strange. The only problem I've had is with stuck notes in 3.01. As I wrote, I tend to keep instruments within a bank, so I set the bank once, and then change only the patch after that. With 3.00/Sonar it worked for me without problems.

Not to say that problems don't exist. There are problems with MIDI handling for iMIDI legato that I've confirmed on my system.

These problems should be fairly deterministic. Let's hope that 3.03 is released soon and puts these problems to rest.

Still, I also have found Sib to have problems with bank changes even with GS2.5. I also had the same problems with the dictionary. The problems may not be 100% Giga.

-JF

I've just read in the Sonic Control forum that this bug has been fixed and will be in the next release.

http://www.soniccontrol.com/cgi-bin/...;f=12;t=001425

Quote Originally Posted by kip
    Any Sibelius users not having problems with midi program changes?
    Hi,

I read this post late. I´ve massive problems with sibelius and ew-orchestra too, because the player does not accept program changes. is there any utility or ... or ... ?

regards
    rolf.

Go Back to forum