• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: P3 and GS

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy P3 and GS

So I've purchased giga 3 now and decided before I pay $$$ for a new system, I'd try it on my P3 1 giger with 512 ram... I use raid 0 on a pci card.. Well I can still play all my previous perf no problem... So I loaded up gigapiano II with convulsion... I can play 3 notes together, that's it, as soon as I hit the sustain pedal... Giga locks up solid!! So I guess I'm into a new system asap!!! I noticed that I still get around the 160 poly as with giga 2..
    Giga CPU zinging average 78% with just Gigapiano II loaded. If I don't even play a note, the sustain pedal alone locks the computer right up solid... No BSOD thought... A quick reboot and all is well... Which is cool for testing... Man gigapiano II is really bright without the convulsion...
    Just for your info...
    Later
    Bri

Re: P3 and GS

What I can´t believe is why people here still put GS3 in the heights after so many comments like yours... you are not alone man, almost everyone that purchased GS3 is realizing that the real price of upgrading is simply to high. To do the same things you did before, you just need more and more hardware upgrades... and when you finally do it, there are the unsolved bugs, the stuck notes, the rewire issues, the problems with the editor window...

Guess what? I think I just made my decision to stick with kontakt...

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo
    What I can´t believe is why people here still put GS3 in the heights after so many comments like yours... you are not alone man, almost everyone that purchased GS3 is realizing that the real price of upgrading is simply to high. To do the same things you did before, you just need more and more hardware upgrades... and when you finally do it, there are the unsolved bugs, the stuck notes, the rewire issues, the problems with the editor window...

I disagree. My existing GS2 libraries run just as well on GS3 as they did on GS2.

There are some bugs to work out on GS3, but that is the norm for all music software these days, especially apps like GS3 that try to "push the envelope".

When talking about GigaPiano II and "impulses", they DO require a lot of CPU power. However, they sound so realistic!!

If you want to avoid some of the GS3 hassles, then just wait a few months for these initial problems to get fixed.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guga Bernardo

God, I just laugh at comments like this. How ludicrous.

The reason people are willing to do what it takes to run Giga 3 is quite simple. It's fantastic. Every bit of CPU one can throw at it gets used, and used extremely well and productively. The people who are investing in Giga 3 are doing so with their eyes open for the most part, and are realizing just how much bang that buck actually buys.

To take a small sampling of problems reported in a newsgroup, and somehow make a logical leap that this represents the average user's experience is a bit naive. It is very hard to put much faith in these dire fantasies, when I am hearing from clients and colleages that they are amazed with the sounds I am getting lately--that that the only difference in condition is that I am taking advantage of the most excellent improvements between Giga 2.5 and 3.0. Not just the 3.0 libraries, but even the version 2 and earlier libraries benefit incredibly from the 3.0 features.

Speaking for myself, I find it unspeakably odd that people would slander their own time pontificating about a product they have no experience using. It seems a complete waste. One could have some , for instance, or a tasty drink. Or perhaps spin the emotion into some more useful outcome than a negative comment which can be discredited on its face.

Seclusion,

GigaPiano's convolution model really hammers the CPU. No surprise that your PIII wasn't happy about it.

You might be able to get away with a single instance of GigaPulse as a reverb though. Have you tried that on your PIII? If nothing else, you'll get a sense of the musicality of the impulses before your PC upgrade takes shape.

And Guga... The readme clearly states that a 2.4 GHz or better P4 is required for GigaPiano's resonance. No appologies are required for the fact that it locks up (but doesn't blue screen) a PIII.

-JF

Ya I wasn't ragging about GS3 at all, I just thought I'd let people know who were on the fence about buying giga 3... It's a shame cause the ol' girl still runs great!!! I can do everything I used to plus use vst's and the giga gui is much better... Yes I think I can really hammer the original giga piano more than I used to... Again the only part I can't use is gigapulse... Oh well Christmas is coming!! Can't wait... The 2 notes I heard with gigapulse before crashing seemed beautiful!!
    Later
    Bri

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    One could have some , for instance, or a tasty drink. Or perhaps spin the emotion into some more useful outcome than a negative comment which can be discredited on its face.
    You can comment anything you want about the product itself. You don't have to buy my opinion, and I don't have to buy yours. BTW, if GS3 is do good as you say, why don't you give some numbers and parameters to compare? Yes, because all I did in this forum so far is asking for some comparisons but almost everybody couldn't help me. Maybe because they don't know how to do it, or maybe because they don't want to, but that doesn't matter. What really matters is that I don't have to buy a product without having some information on REAL benefits I would have by migrating from kontakt to GS3. The simple question is: what can GS3 do that kontakt can't. Simple as that. And nothing better than comparisons to answer the question.
    Instead of that, I find someone like you Bruce, with a totally personal and disrespectful comment.
    You should really apologize for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Hines
    If you want to avoid some of the GS3 hassles, then just wait a few months for these initial problems to get fixed.
    Good idea!

ps: This is like a friendly reply should sound, Bruce!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Sorry you are so offended. I get offended too, when people disparage good technology without any hands-on experience with it. Simple as that.

GigaStudio 3.0 is markedly better than GigaStudio 2.x. It's a whole different world. The sound is unimaginably rich and wonderful. What are people supposed to do? Spend their valuable time and energy trying to convince you? Who cares? I'm sorry if that sounds personal. It's not. One can easily look up your posts on the subject of GigaStudio. They are indicative of someone who doesn't really seem to want to be convinced--at least they appear that way to me. If not, then perhaps I am misreading them.

Regardless, it is not a correct statement to say, "...almost everyone that purchased GS3 is realizing that the real price of upgrading is simply to high. To do the same things you did before, you just need more and more hardware upgrades... and when you finally do it, there are the unsolved bugs, the stuck notes, the rewire issues, the problems with the editor window..."

That is a mischaracterization based upon newsgroup complaints, which are invariably problem-centered. And most of the problems that people have are based one way or another on compromised setups. They seem to want a miracle, and to want it to happen on one machine which is not even up to the task. That is not a formula for success. If one builds a first-rate GigaStudio rig, it's a gold mine. If one chooses to be penny wise and pound foolish, then there's not much a person can do to help out, except to say good luck with that.

Hi Bruce, sorry if my question is a bit off topic, but I guess I can remember a post from you, saying that you used a specially tuned system for live gig. If it is the case did you upgrade this machine as well and did it run well ?

I'm asking because the live thing is probably the most critical use of a system, and though GS3 is really solid at present time (at least for me) people might get hesitant to use it live ...

Thanks in advance,
    Jean-Guy

Go Back to forum