• Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: USC Chooses GPO for Film Scoring Program

Share/Bookmark

USC Chooses GPO for Film Scoring Program

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
    Chooses GARRITAN PERSONAL ORCHESTRA
    For "Scoring for Motion Pictures & Television" Curriculum

Garritan Orchestyal Libraries is pleased to announce that the University of Southern California (USC) has chosen Garritan Personal Orchestra for use with its music curriculum. Both the "Scoring for Motion Pictures and Television" department and the "Music Industry" department in the USC Thornton School of Music have adopted Garritan Personal Orchestra to aid its students in learning the art of orchestration.

The Thornton School of Music has a long tradition of academic and artistic excellence and is ranked as one of the leading music institutions in the country. At the University of Southern California the pursuit of excellence in music education extends to the technology used in its music curriculum. When USC learned it that its students could have the opportunity to realize the orchestral music they were working on, the decision was purely academic. “All of our students are trained in technology and orchestration. The GPO library can be found installed on all the workstations in our labs.”, says Ed Kalnins, Assistant Professor at USC.

Los Angeles is well known as the world center of music for film and television. USC is at the heart of Los Angeles where the finest composers, arrangers, filmmakers, musicians and studios are only a few miles away. The Thornton School of Music at USC offers world class programs in music industry, film and television scoring, recording arts, instrumental performance, composition, music history, music pedagogy, conducting, choral and church music, jazz, early music, music education, and many other disciplines at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral level . The USC scoring for motion pictures and television program is a one-year intensive course of study. Students work long hours studying scores, screening films, composing music, producing recording sessions and taking classes with and talking to faculty and guests from the professional film music industry

For further information please contact:

Garritan Orchestral Libraries
    Phone: 360-376-5766 Fax: (360) 376-5676
    Web: www.garritan.com
    Email: gary@garritan.com
    PO Box 400, Orcas, WA 98280 U.S.A.

or

USC Thornton School of Music
    Film Scoring Department
    Music Faculty Building 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90089-0851
    (213) 740-7416
    FAX: (213) 740-3217

Thumbs up Re: USC Chooses GPO for Film Scoring Program

Terrific coup, Gary! It must be very satisfying to see the fruits of your labors poised to radically changed the way folks are educated!

Super congrats!

KevinKauai

Re: USC Chooses GPO for Film Scoring Program

I knew that it was only a matter of time! Excellent.

Congratualtions, Mr. Garritan!!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Man, I wish I was a Film Scoring major at USC. Oh well, at least I have GPO
    Tim

Let me ask you guys a question. I have been debating the possibility of going back to school. Between USC and Berklee in Boston, which school would you guys reccomend for a degree in composition, emphasis on Film scoring?
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Exellent work Gary !!

It gives me great pleasure to see that one of the nicest businessmen/musicians I know, is so immensly sucsesfull !!

I think they're both pretty good either way. I know some people who went to berklee who really liked. I personally really want to go to USC's program. I think they're both around the same price too, which is a lot more money than I have...
    Tim

Yea..I know they are both a lot. California is closer to home for me..which is a factor somewhat, but I only want to do this once. has anyone here attended the USC program? I know a fair bit about Berklee from other Alumni I have heard from here and elsewhere..
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Ahh, I just checked out the two websites, the USC program is a graduate program while berklee seems to be for undergrads.
    Tim

That MIGHT be a deal breaker and might not. I already have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science and many credits towards music composition degree. just means I'd have to complete a music BA at USC first I reckon. Hmm.. Sounds like Berklee might be more applicable to my situation.

Go Back to forum