• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sharing the same audio software (here GS3) from several OS : possible ?

Share/Bookmark

Sharing the same audio software (here GS3) from several OS : possible ?

For example :

(With a multiboot system)

Hard drive 1 :
    C : XP 1
    D : XP 2
    E : GS3 installation files
    Hard drive 2
    F : Samples

I presume that we have to install GS3 again on the XP 2 OS of course, but the questions are :

1) Does the install process of GS detect the GS program in the « E : / Program file » path (already installed) and then doesn't rewrite it again ?
    2) If so, do we have to reactivate GS3 ?

The advantages could be :
    1 ) Only 1 activation.
    2 ) Keeping all GS3 parameters. (windows, path, options...)
    3 ) Fast restoration of XP (1’40 in my case) instead of using the XP tool to defrag the OS.
    4 ) To tweak XP for better performances and other tests on the second OS.
    5 ) Possibly better performances if we put the software drive (E : ) on another hard drive ?
    And without multi boot system (only one OS drive) : to do not have to reactivate GS3 after a new XP installation.

It could be interesting...

Any thought ?

Re: Sharing the same audio software (here GS3) from several OS : possible ?

It will only work in one OS install. Each OS install has it's own separate registry and the programs need to be installed in each instance. Beware that you are only allowed one installation of Giga.

Advantage # 4 is the only thing that’s remotely an advantage. I have no idea what you mean by 2 & 3. As for 5, you want to install GS on the same partition as the operating system. A lot of GS (dlls, etc) will be installed there any way.

Unless you have a real reason to duel boot, you’ll just be wasting a lot of time.

Normally you would have a dual-boot system if you wanted to create:
    - a music computer (run this 'streamlined OS when making music)
    - a "normal" computer (run this OS when doing non-music stuff)

I have seen other people recommend a DIFFERENT alternative -- use one OS but create different startup "hardware profiles".

As someone mentioned above, GS will make Windows Registry entries so it should be on your MAIN drive.

If you are trying to create an "all-in-one" computer for music, you might want to add ANOTHER hard drive
    1st Drive -- Windows OS and programs
    2nd Drive -- Audio data you record
    3rd Drive -- samples

Beware that you are only allowed one installation of Giga.
    Well that’s the point : there is only one program file of GS in that configuration. If the registering process is stored in the Program File instead of XP, then the license is strictly respected.
    I don’t try to bypass the license, but only want a more practical solution, which permit, for example, to reinstall XP without re-registering GS again...
    I have no idea what you mean by 2 & 3.
    Well the XP defrag tool is very slow, and laborious. Using HyperOS 2004 (which is a multi boot system but also a hard disk manager, a clone and ghost system) , I never use the XP defrag tool now : I restore my ghost. Considering that I also deactivate the XP restoration system that I don’t need anymore (XP is really more light without it, by the way), and that, if all softwares are on a separate letter drive, the size of XP stays practically the same (around1,40 Go for the SP1 home), It takes 1’40 to restore the ghost, so I can do it every day if I want...

About Soft parameters : well for a sequencer for example this is about all preferences, file path, or ‘last project’ opening, short cuts, the size of windows etc, etc... But unfortunately, I guess that they are stored in ‘Document and settings’, (like Nuendo does, for example) and we probably can’t put them in another path, on another drive...

Unless you have a real reason to duel boot, you’ll just be wasting a lot of time.
    Using the XP defrag tool, reactivate and tweak all soft after a clean XP installation is a lot of wasting time, for me...
    Normally you would have a dual-boot system if you wanted to create:
    - a music computer (run this 'streamlined OS when making music)
    - a "normal" computer (run this OS when doing non-music stuff)
    Using Nuendo and Samplitude, I prefer to use them separately on different OS. I don’t use GS160 in them, but with the Rewire function I plane to use GS with them...
    I have seen other people recommend a DIFFERENT alternative -- use one OS but create different startup "hardware profiles".
    This is a possibility to tweak the OS, you’re right.
    If you are trying to create an "all-in-one" computer for music, you might want to add ANOTHER hard drive
    1st Drive -- Windows OS and programs
    2nd Drive -- Audio data you record
    3rd Drive -- samples
    I use separate drives for Audio of course. (And Ghosts...then I get an approximately x1,5 faster stream...)

Anyway, if the GS3 activation process is stored somewhere in Windows, instead of the Program file, it’s the end of the story...
    It depends of each soft, I presume...

This is a problem that we don’t have with dongles... (I tried with Nuendo 2.2, the program file is 137Mo, but there is still an Asio file (1Mo) and Application Data (Documents and Settings) file (7,5Mo) inside XP...)

> I never use the XP defrag tool now : I restore my ghost

If your OS partition is that stable, there's to reason to be defragging it more than once a month anyway.

GigaStudio stores info in the Windows registry as most programs do these days. So it will only work in one installation of Windows.

Defragging of my OS drive does not take that long and I do it on a weekly basis. I only do the sample drive every other month or so as it doesn't change much.

GigaStudio stores info in the Windows registry
    Including for the activation process ?
    If so, well, this is the end of the story...

hv

I was able to do exactly what you have in mind with GS2, SF, Vegas, and others.

My experience, btw, was that it's way better to give each OS install it's own program area and reinstall for each. Otherwise you still have to do an overwrite reinstall under each OS anyway (to populate it's registry). And things can get mucked up if you apply a program update under one OS and not the others. With separate program dirs you can operate with different program rev levels for debugging or workarounds.

Activation is easiest if you use the "register from a different computer" option. But I don't think they'll give you any hassel reregistering online if the keys don't change. If in doubt about GS3, call them and ask.

Howard

Activation is easiest if you use the "register from a different computer" option
    I always do. For everything, including XP. I don’t want any web link, even momentary, in my DAWs... (I can even put the SP1 for an old XP Home copy without web connection...)
    But I don't think they'll give you any hassel reregistering online if the keys don't change.
    Well, if the activation is in the Windows registry, this is normal...
    And obviously, it is.
    And things can get mucked up if you apply a program update under one OS and not the others.
    Yes, you’re right, updates are another problem to solved in that configuration...
    What a brain-storming...

Anyway, it seems that the structure and philosophy of Windows doesn’t permit to separate OS and programs...
    So we’ll have to reinstall ours programs every time we reinstall the OS and in one OS only for a long time, I guess...

Go Back to forum