• Register
  • Help

Topic: Size of GigaPulse impulses?

Share/Bookmark

Size of GigaPulse impulses?

I read in the GS3 manual that GigaPulse impulses should ideally be placed on a separate hard drive. I am going to follow this advice and am going to partition my hard drives accordingly. But in order to do this efficiently I should know how much space these impulses need so I can allocate appropriate space for them. If someone has GS3 installed and can check this out I would really appreciate it.

(My old computer does not have a DVD drive and I can't browse the contents of the DVD's - and my new computer, which does have a DVD drive, on the other hand does not have a system installed and I can't install it before I know how to partition the hard drives. So basically I am stuck until someone can help me out.)

Thanks.

Juuso

Re: Size of GigaPulse impulses?

Quote Originally Posted by juuso
    I read in the GS3 manual that GigaPulse impulses should ideally be placed on a separate hard drive. I am going to follow this advice and am going to partition my hard drives accordingly.
    Juuso
    From what I have read, partitioning a physical hard drive won't speed up anything. I think Tascam is suggesting installing on a different PHYSICAL DRIVE. If you read the entire page 18 of the User's Manual, they first talk about a separate physical drive for samples, and why logical drives are even worse for performance. Their final statement is:
    the impulse content should be installed on yet another separate drive from the .gig content, or on the system drive with the OS and Programs.
    My system only has two internal drives, one MAIN drive and one for audio files. I have an external drive for samples. Therefore I just went ahead and installed the GPulse Pro data under the "normal" C:\Program Files\Tascam\Gpulse.

The default impulses that come with GS3 Orchestra are 1.1GB.

Re: Size of GigaPulse impulses?

Thanks.

I didn't want to get too technical about my setup, but now it seems I wasn't specific enough and caused confusion instead.

Yes, this is basically what I am trying to achieve (putting them on a separate physical drive). The thing is I will put three hard drives on my computer: two IDE drives and one Serial-ATA. This is how I have figured I should do this:

1. IDE: system
    2. IDE: windows virtual memory AND GigaPulse impulses (on same partition)
    3. S-ATA: Giga instruments

Now, there will be plenty of space on the second IDE drive for storage, but I want to keep that space separate from the windows swap file and GigaPulse impulses. Therefore I will partition the second IDE so that there will be a swap+impulses partition and a storage partition.

Thanks again, and if my reasoning is somehow flawed, please let me know.

Juuso

Go Back to forum