• Register
  • Help

Topic: An action piece inspired by listening to too much Jerry Goldsmith

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb An action piece inspired by listening to too much Jerry Goldsmith

So here's a little "action" piece I threw together in about four hours while thinking about the score for my next animated film, named "Bowled Over".

http://www.unitedidiotpictures.com/m...owled_over.mp3

As per the thread title, I have been listening to a lot of Jerry Goldsmith lately, and this tune in particular sounds quite similar to the track "The Scorpion" from the Star Trek: Nemesis score. (Not being a "Trekkie", I haven't seen the movie, but the soundtrack is great.)

Basically I wanted to get more of a Hollywood sound, particularly with the snares, so I did a fair bit of tweaking to get the sound right. The snares themselves are pitch-corrected a fair bit down so they sound a lot more gutsy and less tinny - I was glad that GPO let me do this right away without having to "fix it in post", so to speak. I also used nothing but overlays for the brass - that seems to give it a fuller, richer sound.

I've also fiddled a lot with the reverb on this track, and also messed with the EQ as well. It had the unfortunate effect of emaciating any timpani I added in, so when I revisit this track to fit it in with the final cut of my film, I'll be reworking it a fair bit.

Also, I kinda ran out of dynamic range a little, particularly with the Horn Overlay F instrument. The loud bit toward the end of the first minute was probably a little bit too much. Admittedly the ending is weak too, but in the actual film I'll be composing a completely different ending - probably involving a complete change in the style of music to something more frantic and early-Alan-Silvestri-ish, as long as that isn't too stylistically inconsistent.

Instruments used:

Snares (tuned to -7.12ST)
    Basses (short bows)
    Basic Orch Percussion Combo
    French Horn Overlay F
    French Horn Overlay FF
    Trumpet Overlay
    Tuba Overlay
    Cellos Lush

It's funny - the more I work with GPO, the more brilliant and versatile I realise it is. I was always worried it'd sound too trebly and synthesised for music like this, but playing the instruments in lower octaves and tweaking the reverb/EQ really gets a more realistic, Hollywood-esque sound.

Criticise away!

Re: An action piece inspired by listening to too much Jerry Goldsmith

Serpretod,
    I liked the sound you got with the BRASS. The only thing I have shied away from in regards to GPO is the Brass. I like what you do with the frecnh horns. YOur demo makes me think of GPO again.

Sincerley,

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP
    Serpretod,
    I liked the sound you got with the BRASS. The only thing I have shied away from in regards to GPO is the Brass. I like what you do with the frecnh horns. YOur demo makes me think of GPO again.

Sincerley,

Jonathan
    Thanks John, glad you like it. I agree that the GPO brass isn't as realistic as the rest of the instruments - my technique with this piece was to use the overlay instruments rather than the regular ones, and also fiddle with the note velocities in order to get less of that "quack" effect the brass sometimes gives.

Once again I really have to hand it to Gary for creating such an awesome program - a lesser program wouldn't let one work out solutions such as these. While the brass isn't the GPO package's strength, it's really good to be able to tweak it and make it sound better.

Thumbs up Re: An action piece inspired by listening to too much Jerry Goldsmith

Very good use of brass! I have some techniques I use to get GPO better brass-sounding, but this is good. The overlays are the key and I wish there were MORE of them (maybe in GPO 2?) I have also used my old BiggaGigga brass in Kontakt to respond like GPO and I use these with the GPO overlays. Because they are stereo samples they add a little spread to brass sections.

I am starting to shy away from 'ambient' samples I have and use the drier samples like BG to go with GPO's philosophy of 'user ambience' as opposed to libraries with it built-in. Ultimately I am finding that ambient orchestral samples are harder to work with in a dense mix. (sorry to soap-box on your thread!!)

A nice tribute to Goldsmith (he is so missed!). This is good music.

Quote Originally Posted by nexus
    Very good use of brass! I have some techniques I use to get GPO better brass-sounding, but this is good. The overlays are the key and I wish there were MORE of them (maybe in GPO 2?) I have also used my old BiggaGigga brass in Kontakt to respond like GPO and I use these with the GPO overlays. Because they are stereo samples they add a little spread to brass sections.

I am starting to shy away from 'ambient' samples I have and use the drier samples like BG to go with GPO's philosophy of 'user ambience' as opposed to libraries with it built-in. Ultimately I am finding that ambient orchestral samples are harder to work with in a dense mix. (sorry to soap-box on your thread!!)

A nice tribute to Goldsmith (he is so missed!). This is good music.
    Glad you liked it, heh. The more I listen to it though, the more I start to nitpick and notice all the bits I want to change... and change them I will, when it comes time to do this film score.

You're also right about the brass. Maybe (hint hint) Gary should make a Garritan Brass addon for GPO... hmmm.

Also, it's OK to "soap-box" my thread, heh. I agree it's much better to have dry libraries and tweak the ambience as much as you like.

Maybe I wrote the wrong title for this thread, too: one can never listen to too much Jerry Goldsmith.

Septrepod, I liked the mood and tension of this piece. Good production too!

I especially liked the opening.

Frank

Somebody needs to write a tutorial on brass orchestration with GPO! I really like this piece, reminds of the last level of a video game, when you know the final bad guy is behind one of the next doors . . .

Nice work!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Wow... great use of the Brass !!

If you're in need of some more 'Hollywood' type of percussion, you should check out the free G-Town samples... they're absolutly great !
    http://www.gtownsounds.com/

Great stuff Sepretod !

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Klaren

If you're in need of some more 'Hollywood' type of percussion, you should check out the free G-Town samples... they're absolutly great !

Great stuff Sepretod !
    Thanks for the link - that stuff looks great, I'll download it now.

I'm kinda stuck with this piece with regards to how to "break up" the rhythm and make it a little more complex. To show what I'm talking about, here's a sample from the Jerry Goldsmith track that inspired me to make the piece:

http://www.unitedidiotpictures.com/m...e_scorpion.mp3

Notice how kinda interspersed the bass drum beats, short bass bows and snares with a constant synthesiser rhythm? I'm wanting something similar to that, except I can't think of what GPO instrument to use. I tried using a xylophone but it didn't sound right... some other percussion instrument might almost do the trick, any suggestions?

Also, in the finished version of this track I'll be playing with the note velocities a lot more, for instance, putting more emphasis on the start of each bar rather than assigning each note with the same velocity. Plus, I really need to work on that brass around the 0:45 mark... it sounds like it suddenly runs out of strength. Same with the horns at 1:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Klaren

Great stuff Sepretod !
    Remember to send Tobias a donation...he appreciates this!

Frank

Go Back to forum