• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Some Thoughts About GigaBugs

Share/Bookmark

Some Thoughts About GigaBugs

This post is not directed at any person or persons in particular, so those who feel singled out, please don\'t. I\'ve caused my share of irate rhetoric here, as you probably are aware.

I\'ve been reading about, testing, fretting over, and otherwise dealing with all these issues: Giga\'s lack of support for RAM, crashing, not liking certain computers and loving others, etc. etc. etc., and I\'d like to make a few points about this. Feel free to agree or disagree...

Point 1: Tascam should address these issues. They own the product, it is their responsibility to give the customer base a stable, reliable platform. Nothing I\'m going to say in the rest of this post should be taken to imply that I condone or endorse Tascam\'s lack of response in this regard.

Point 2: Gigastudio, when working at a reasonable level (relatively stable, not being driven to within an inch of its life) is a GREAT product. If you don\'t agree, listen to the demos by Maarten, TJ, Simon, etc. - if you still don\'t agree, don\'t use it. Buy a hardware sampler, or Halion, or whatever. Don\'t use Giga if you hate it, it will hurt your creativity.

Point 3: I have been an xBase programmer since the second rev of dBase. It was a buggy, error-prone language, and many generations later, it still is. About three years into its product life, the dBase authors brought out an extended programming manual, with tips, tricks, how tos, etc. The book stated, wuaite baldly, (an approximate quote) \"dBase has bugs. All software has bugs. Ashton may or may not ever actually fix them. Get over it. Find workarounds.\"

I will say to the \'carping critics we have always with us\': Get over it. Find ways to make your music. Your computer is not happy when you use 99% of available memory? DON\'T DO IT! Use 50% memory and record in two passes. Or 25% and record one instrument at a time. Buy more Giga computers and treat them as sections: here\'s my strings box, here\'s my brass, etc. Not cheap, but still costs less than the equivalent polyphony in quality hardware boxes.

Yeah, it\'s drag. Yeah, it\'s slower. Keep bugging Tascam to get it right? Absolutely-but NOT during your creative time. Make your music. Write Tascam after hours. When (not if, but when, it\'s a computer!) it crashes, turn off the power, reboot and get on with it. Save often, save multiple versions (one could crash just as you\'re saving it...)

Bottom line questions:
    Would you rather use Giga with 25% memory and record one or two instrument tracks at a time, or use your Emu ESI or Roland 760 and settle for RAM-based samples? Or a Roland XP-80 with internal samples and sound cards?

Which piano? One that works 25% of the time and sounds great, or one that works 100% of the time and sounds OK?

You\'re here to make music, not to be beta testers. Unfortunately, with computer instruments, we are ALL ALWAYS beta testers! Can\'t help it, especially in a vertical market like music sampling. So you choose-high-quality beta or adequate quality stable. Or you hire some techno-weenie to be responsible for keeping all your gear operating at peak, and pay that way.

The beauty of these forums is that we can share tips-how to work around problems, what libraries sound best, etc. This is a tremendously valuable resource, so please don\'t waste it. Here we get to tell Donnie his saples are ut of tune, and tell Nick we don\'t appreciate the copy protection scheme-and they respond! Not necessarily politely, sometimes defensively, sometimes apologetically, but you can communicate WITH them, not just to them (as long as they haven\'t gotten themselves banned... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] )

All is not perfect in Gigaland. It\'s not the way we want it, but it IS the way it is.

Have fun! Make music. Then make some more music. Maybe by the time you\'re done with that project, Tascam will have fixed the program. (Yeah, right...)

Fair? You want fair? There\'s one that passes through town every six months or so. See you on the merry-go-round...

Dasher

Re: Some Thoughts About GigaBugs

Dasher,

I agree with your position. You registered to this forum \"A long time ago!.\"

Compare this forum around 1999/2000 to what it is now. While those day most people posted sad faces and complained about Nemesys we have a much more constructive Forum Activity today.

Compare the original Gigasampler with the today\'s Gigastudio. There are worlds in between.

I think, the first thing we should do, before we exercise any critique is to validate and thank for all big conributors:

1. TASCAM for creating and maintaining such a unique and awsome product.
    2. LIBRARY creators who invest a lot of time and know how.
    3. SUPPORTING individuals who create useful utilities like Nuno.
    4. EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM who contributes, helps, shows his products and is participating
    with a friendly level of communication.

If critique is needed, it should be specific and directed to the right person or company.

Sometimes it doen\'t even belong to this forum.

If critical words are rejected, defended or are ignored, then something is wrong in the first place. Most likely with the person who originates critique...

It\'s strange, but people with a negative attitude have more problems with machines such as computers, midi devices, audio systems etc. I myself own a flight school and operate 10 aircraft. 50% of all pilots who have problems with a Radio, Navigational Device, Engine Startup etc. have either a negative attitude, missing knowledge but in most cases both. This is a proven fact for more than 12 years of business practice.

THERE IS NO REASON TO BE NEGATIVE.

Let\'s be POSITIVE, create, help, show products and have fun.

maestro

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    I\'ve been reading about, testing, fretting over, and otherwise dealing with all these issues: Giga\'s lack of support for RAM, crashing, not liking certain computers and loving others, etc. etc. etc., and I\'d like to make a few points about this. Feel free to agree or disagree...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There are two ways Tascam/Nemesys can easily solve pretty much all of the memory/cpu/OS problems: 1. Rewrite GS as a user mode app -- of course you will then have to accept increased latencies, with latencies going up in to the hundreds of milliseconds as the number of voices approach 160; 2. Rewrite GS to run under a custom realtime OS that uses a complete HAL (Hardware Absraction Layer) with support for the most common x86 configurations -- this is bloody unlikely. (How would you like to spend at least double for what it cost to put together a current GS system). The way it\'s designed now, GS offers the best balance between cost, flexibility, and performance. Yes, the are many ways GS can operate better. Most of the problems end users have come from the fact that A. Windows is NOT a realtime operating system, and B. Windows tries to run on as many x86 systems with support for as many peripherals as possible. Until sometime in the future when Microsoft forces everyone to run the exact same hardware configuration (Xbox ver. II/III/IV etc.), we\'ll have to deal with the shortcomings that running a general purpose OS on various hardware configurations entails.

If everyone here is fed up with the Lack of support, call or write the head of Tascam and let him know about the problems!!!

Gene Joly
    Teac America
    7733 Telegraph Rd.
    Montebello, Ca. 90640

Maestro-thanks, bud. You got what I was saying.

Killerbobjr-you\'re absolutely right, as long as Windoze remains a non-realtime OS, we\'re going to have compatibility issues, system A that performs significantly better than the apparently identical system B, etc. There are so many variables that can change and yet be a \"Windows x\" machine. The combination of mobos, chipsets, BIOS and hardware/software revs is staggering.

What I\'m really tring to say here is that Giga is one helluva product, even with all the warts, and we should spend more time (when possible) making music rather than writing nastygrams.

You, KB, in particular have helped this to occur, your posts are extremely knowledgable and have helped a number of folks get their systems\' act together (myself included.) Sincere thanks.

The other part of my message is, I think, that we should keep reminding Tascam of their responsiblilty, but do it in a positive, constructive way. Remember, folks, Tascam didn\'t write this app, Nemesys did. So the communiques ought to be directed at that workgroup. Directing messages to the CEO may do some good, but as I always say, \"Memos from admin have never fixed a software bug.\" Or, \"We should all hang together or most certainly our apps will hang separately\" (Benjamin F. Gates.)

Dasher

Hi Dasher,

I read your initial post with increasing gratitude. You\'ve stated many important points quite eloquently. The old cliche \"You\'ll catch more flies with honey than vinegar\" was never more true. Thank you for a moment of sanity.

Steve Chandler

[img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Dasher

I think, the first thing we should do, before we exercise any critique is to validate and thank for all big conributors:

1. TASCAM for creating and maintaining such a unique and awsome product.
    2. LIBRARY creators who invest a lot of time and know how.
    3. SUPPORTING individuals who create useful utilities like Nuno.
    4. EVERYBODY ON THIS FORUM who contributes, helps, shows his products and is participating
    with a friendly level of communication.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I strongly agree with the above, except for the first point. Sorry, but Tascam has had nothing to do with creating Giga. It was Nemesys and another company (whose name escapes me at the momment) they licensed the hard disk streaming technology from, that created GigaSampler. It was then Nemesys that developed GigaStudio.

Lawrence

\"I strongly agree with the above, except for the first point. Sorry, but Tascam has had nothing to do with creating Giga. It was Nemesys and another company (whose name escapes me at the momment) they licensed the hard disk streaming technology from, that created GigaSampler. It was then Nemesys that developed GigaStudio.\"

Rockwell/Conexant. The developers of the streaming technology were both Rockwell employees. Rockwell holds the patent. They then left Rockwell to form Nemesys. The \"endless wave\" tehcnology was licensed to Nemesys by Rockwell.

I didn\'t know about the Rockwell connection. Thanks, Doug. Not a lot to actually DO with that datum but it\'s always cool to learn something you didn\'t know. And maybe we can get some Rockwell developers to comment from time to time.

And of course you and Lougheed are absolutely correct that GS is a Nemesys?Conextant product.

But the important point, I think, is that we have to deal with Tascam now, for support(???) updates, and enhancement to the screaming technology - oh, sorry, that\'s streaming technology. I think. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Dasher

Go Back to forum