• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Gigastudio 2.5 no longer working!

Share/Bookmark

Gigastudio 2.5 no longer working!

Hello.

Gigastudio 2.5 stopped working today...instead of opening, it's giving me "Error code 218" and closing. It can open in diagnostic mode, but not regular mode.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Wes
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

Re: Gigastudio 2.5 no longer working!

Nevermind...I reinstalled and it's working....so far.
    I remain solely responsible for the content of my messages, and agree to indemnify and hold harmless northern sound source, and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of my message(s). Rock on.

OK, it's not working again...same problem. I hate this POS software.

Hi Wes,

I know that if you open GS2.5 before the audio drivers have initialized, GS2.5 locks up. Try a cold reboot, then give the drivers a minute or two to settle in. The error code sounds more specific than that though. I'd call customer support in the morning. In the meantime, you might try reinstalling your audio drivers.

Best of luck...

-JF

Hi Jon!

I tried a cold reboot and now have the BSOD. I might try to call tech support, but at this point I'm considering abandoning GS as my sampler platform all together.

I'll try reinstalling my audio drivers once my blood pressure drops below 300.

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wes37
    but at this point I'm considering abandoning GS as my sampler platform all together.

Wes

That's not how James Newton Howard would act! Don't jump ship at the first opportunity. You'll end up changing software for the rest of your life. Something went wrong. Fix it!

-------------
    Alex Cremers

Quote Originally Posted by Alexcremers
    That's not how James Newton Howard would act! Don't jump ship at the first opportunity. You'll end up changing software for the rest of your life. Something went wrong. Fix it!

-------------
    Alex Cremers
    Alex,

This isn't the first time GS has screwed up on me. In fact, I've lost count of all the time I've wasted that I could have been doing something productive yet was trying to fix the problems with this software. I'm not irrational, but neither am I a glutton for punishment. No other bit of audio software that I own comes close to the problems I've experienced w/ GS.

So the question I pose is: For what possible reason should I stick w/ GS?

Where will you go if you abandon GS? I've had 2.5 for several years, and I've never even been able to get it to install completely, let alone run. What else is out there?

Quote Originally Posted by drmathprog
    Where will you go if you abandon GS? I've had 2.5 for several years, and I've never even been able to get it to install completely, let alone run. What else is out there?
    This is a perfect example of why I don't think I should put up with GS anymore. There are many of us who have experienced numerous problems with GS and let's be blunt; Tascam's technical support of GS is not very good.

Some say that you have to get a dedicated system for GS, but there are a couple of issues here. Firstly, there is the "lark's vomit" problem . This is a reference to a Monty Python skit where a candy manufacturer is being questioned by a government Public Health authority and when confronted with the fact that one of the candies has lark's vomit as an ingredient, the manufacturer says that they don't list it because it would hurt their sales. The Health guy replies that the box should come with a label saying "Warning: Lark's Vomit".
    The similarity is that if GS requires a dedicated system, Tascam should come out and say so. To even IMPLY that GS works on a regular system if it doesn't do so properly is disingenuous. The second issue is that GS crashes on dedicated systems as well, so it's a moot point.

To answer your question as to where to go, I'd honestly reply, "What does it matter?" If GS isn't reliable, what are you giving up by not using it?

I have not decided to switch yet, but am looking hard at Kontakt. More and more companies are including Kompakt players with their software and I honestly think many manufacturers are also frustrated with GS.

Don't get me wrong, when GS works, it's phenomenal...it just isn't reliable on my system and I've tried just about everything I know to get it to be stable.

The similarity is that if GS requires a dedicated system, Tascam should come out and say so. To even IMPLY that GS works on a regular system if it doesn't do so properly is disingenuous.
    Not really. Selling software just isn't as clear cut as that, because things will work on some systems and not on others. The fact is there are loads of people out there who have got Gigastudio working properly on a regular system. I am one of them, with Giga 2.5 running alongside Sonar on the same PC, no problem at all.

I'm not trying to negate your problems and I'm sure it must be very frustrating. And I certainly agree that Gigastudio causes these problems much MORE than most other software. But you can't extrapolate from there to just saying, point blank, that Giga "doesn't work" on a regular system.

To answer your question as to where to go, I'd honestly reply, "What does it matter?" If GS isn't reliable, what are you giving up by not using it?
    You're giving up access to high-end soft sampling. Some people want that enough that they're prepared to put up with the unreliability to get it. That's a personal decision.

Of course, if one can find a competing product that does the same stuff, just as well, but IS reliable, that's a different story!

I have not decided to switch yet, but am looking hard at Kontakt. More and more companies are including Kompakt players with their software and I honestly think many manufacturers are also frustrated with GS.

Don't get me wrong, when GS works, it's phenomenal...it just isn't reliable on my system and I've tried just about everything I know to get it to be stable.
    If you definitely want something to run within an integrated system on one PC, and you can't afford to design that PC too much around the sample program, then I think you're probably right, Kontakt would fill that role better. There's not really any point fuming about the rights or wrongs of it, just get the right tool for the job.

Go Back to forum