• Register
  • Help

Topic: Motu828mkII

Share/Bookmark

Motu828mkII

I use Garritan Personal Orchestra with Digital Performer 4
    and a Motu 828 mkII.

I have noticed that the Garritans sounds gets distorted when I route the Kontakt player through my Motu 828 MKII.

However when I use the Built-in-Audio the distortion disappears.

Are Garritan Personal Orchestra supposed to work only with the Built-in sound card ? In both cases there is Core Audio driver which routes the sound.

I also have difficulties to get a strong signal out from Garritan Personal Orchestra. Especially compared with my other devices.

How can I fix this problem ?

Re: Motu828mkII

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_X
    I use Garritan Personal Orchestra with Digital Performer 4
    and a Motu 828 mkII.

I have noticed that the Garritans sounds gets distorted when I route the Kontakt player through my Motu 828 MKII.

Are Garritan Personal Orchestra supposed to work only with the Built-in sound card ? In both cases there is Core Audio driver which routes the sound.

I also have difficulties to get a strong signal out from Garritan Personal Orchestra. Especially compared with my other devices.

How can I fix this problem ?

Hi Mr.X
    I too use GPO, DP4 and an 828MK11, I am assuming that you are using GPO in the MAC and not in a separate PC?
    Would you explain in more detail the routing for the sounds, and how they are getting in and out of the 828, hopefully I can help you.

[QUOTE=Mr_X]I use Garritan Personal Orchestra with Digital Performer 4
    and a Motu 828 mkII.

Hi Mr_X:

I use DP 4.12 on my Mac with the Emagic EMI 6/2m audio interface. No distortion problems whatsoever. The Built-in-Audio also sounds OK, but the emagic interface is a definite improvement.

My biggest gripe is that I (to date) can only use the AU Matrix reverb plug-in for reverb. Not the best, but the only thing I have available.

Was going to purchase the 828 MKII to transition to "all MOTU products," but will wait till I see the solution to your problem first.

John

I am using a singleprocessor 1.8 Ghz Macintosh G5 with 2.5 GB ram.

I have a linemixer which goes into analog 1-2 and then further from MainOut to my amplifier. The linemixer is connected with a LXP-1 reverb.
    I have a feeling that the first channel seems to go through the LXP-1 and the second channel seems to have direct signal. This as a parenthesis.

To the linemixer is where my midi devices go.
    In DP4 I have to route the midi devices further via an AUX track, if I want to record them to an Audio track. Otherwise I just monitor them through Analog 1-2 OUT.

However my problem with Garritan could simply be that I use to many instruments. I try to use 12 instruments which seems impossible.

There is also a strange problem with Garritans use of ram. I think I have quite a lot of ram (2.5 GB) But my computer doesn't seem to use of all it.
    There is always at least 1 GB unused ram.

I have noticed that it is possible to route Garritan on all 8 pairs 1-2 3-4 5-6 and so on. Will this increase the chance of getting away from the sound clutter.

I am sorry to mix several problems at the same time. But after working a whole day with no results I am a little bit confused.

Kind regards Ingvar

Hi Ingvar, it would appear to me that your problem lies with using too many voices of GPO in the Mac for one reason or another. I use GPO on a separate PC and pipe the sounds into the 828. This puts no strain on the Mac, and it is used totally for sequencing and audio mixing. I know there are some folks here that use GPO on a Mac and get great results, so I hope one of them will help you. I would recommend recording your parts into separate audio tracks once they are done, and then mute that midi track so it is no longer playing. You could always go back and change a part if you need. I assume that you are using and AUX send on you mixer to feed the audio to the LXP-1 input and then the two outputs of the LXP-1 feed two additional inputs of the mixer. I would recommend changing this.
    Set up and AUX track in DP, assign mono buss 1 to it's input.
    Set this AUX output to "analoge 1" of the 828
    Connect an audio patchcord from anologe 1 output of the 828, to the input of the LXP-1.
    Now, connect two patchcords from the two outputs of the LXP-1 to analoge input 3-4 of the 828.
    Next, set up another AUX track in DP, assign stereo analoge 3-4 (828) to it's input, and set it's output to your main outs 1-2.
    Now, on each one of your audio tracks in DP, as well as the inputs that you use for monitoring your mixer, set AUX 1, to buss 1 (post).
    By using the aux send knob on each channel, you will be able to use your reverb just as though it was a plug-in, and you will then be able to adjust different amounts of reverb to each track within DP.
    (NOTE) When you set up the AUX send of each track to buss 1, make sure that it is "post" not "pre".
    The first AUX that you set up will be the "send" master to the LXP-1, while the second AUX is the return. You must also always set the "mix" knob on the LXP-1 to full, ("wet" or fully clockwise).

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I do hope this helps you some.
    DPDan

Smile Re: Motu828mkII

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I do hope this helps you some.
    DPDan[/QUOTE]

Thank you ! Thank you!

You have really been to a great help.
    I will do as you say with the LXP-1. Today I gave up Garritan and worked with DSL-instruments instead. This didn't cause any problems.
    I freezed several pairs of tracks down to the last downmix.
    DP has great audio effects for mixing as limiter, trim, etc.

Yes I should add that I have a Micro Express 4/6 interface too.
    I guess that I shall route the midi output on Garritan Personal Orchestra 1
    in the midipreferences on the Kontaktplayer. My control input comes from a Roland HP 530 Digital Piano.

Would you recommend to use Garritan as an Audio Unit Plugin in DP?
    The reason for asking is that it is possible to work with so called GPO Studio instead. In DP these tracks shows up as GPO 1 GPO 2 and so on.
    In the first Audio Unit Case they show up as Garritan Personal Orchestra 1
    Garritan Personal Orchestra 2, and so on.

Kind regards Ingvar
    Powermac 2.0 ghz double processor 2.5 gb ram

Would you recommend to use Garritan as an Audio Unit Plugin in DP?
    Kind regards Ingvar
    Hi Ingvar, I really don't know what to recommend, but I would definately try it as an AU plug-in.
    Funny, I too have a MOTU Micro Express.
    Let us know how things go, thanks
    DPDan

Go Back to forum