• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sampled pianos with harmonics emphasized--Philippe Guillaume's work.

Share/Bookmark

Sampled pianos with harmonics emphasized--Philippe Guillaume's work.

Has anyone else listened to these pianos with the harmonics emphasized? They are pd soundfonts (many of you will recognize them) that Philippe Guillaume analyzed in MetLab. He then added (or raised the amplitude of?) the harmonics. (I'm not sure how the harmonics were "created.")

http://www-gmm.insa-toulouse.fr/~gui...ed_sfbank.html

I doubt that anyone will think any of these pianos are perfect, and sometimes the ringing in the middle C area sounds a bit off, and sometimes the turning is unexpected (I had to raise middle C by a 9 semis in one of them), but if you explore them for a time, I think you'll find individual notes that stand out as sounding much like they do when you sit at the piano, and can hear the harmonics more clearly than if sitting in an audience. Essentially, he's added sympathetic resonance to each note. (With the obvious limitation--it doesn't react to what other notes are held down.)

Give them some time and play some chords and legato lines. My reaction to these pianos varies a lot from time to time--try them with and without verb. There are notes you'll dislike and that you may like very much. Remember that these were 2-3 year old pd soundfonts, so don't expect pristine 24 bit notes. Interesting at times?

At the very least, these pianos seem to follow an interesting path. I wonder how this method would fare with one of the new big libraries. Huge investment in time to create one, from what I gather...

Re: Sampled pianos with harmonics emphasized--Philippe Guillaume's work.

And play around with the ADSR envelope a little-- a longer decay, higher sustain, and slightly longer release let you hear the harmonics a little better.

(Remember that these are older samples that can't compete with the new libraries.)

And....try experimenting with a low pass filter, too--open it up entirely and then bring down the frequency to hear the effect on the harmonics. A setting of around 3.3 K gives me a good sound, for example, on the Harmo_bjf piano, cutting out some repeated harmonics that ring a little loud, but still making the resonance effect audible.

Sorry for so many posts in a row. I kept remembering things I'd tried with these pianos to get the best sound.

Very very interesting. I sent you a message by the way... look in your inbox.

Go Back to forum