• Register
  • Help

Topic: Better way to notate this?

Share/Bookmark

Better way to notate this?

This is a strange question, but this is how a melody looks in a piece I'm working on (it's just part of a longer melody, of course). The time sig is 4/4

I'm not really a notation expert, but this notation looks kind of . . . disgusting.

Is there a more elegant way for this to be notated? Or could a musician handle this easily?
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Re: Better way to notate this?

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin
    Is there a more elegant way for this to be notated?
    Yes there is....Three first notes OK, then one sixteen tied to am eight. After it is OK, just that the two first notes in the second bar have to be beamed.
    Iwan

yeah, that looks really awkward. I was trying to figure out a way to make it look nicer in notation software, but I can't really. I also tried mssing around with the key signature (i tried putting it in 6/8) but it didn't go as well as I initially thought it might. The only things that I'd suggest doing is removing the bar on the 2 dotted 8th notes or just replacing them they an 8th note tied to a 16th note. That's what I'd do. The second measure is fine.
    Tim

yes it should be notated differently. I don't have time at the moment to notate it out and send a pic, but basically, the two dotted eighth notes that are beamed, should not be beamed that way.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Igor is right. The only thing I might add is making a dotted half in bar 2 instead of tying the quarter and half together.

Jeff

Is this better?

Thanks! I am un-noteworthy.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

This is a strange question, but this is how a melody looks in a piece I'm working on (it's just part of a longer melody, of course). The time sig is 4/4

I'm not really a notation expert, but this notation looks kind of . . . disgusting.

Is there a more elegant way for this to be notated? Or could a musician handle this easily?
    Well, if I encountered this, I would clean my glasses and go for some more French Roast coffee. It is important that the performer be able to identify the beats easily and quickly. This is particularly important in cases where the performer has no opportunity to study the score in advance. I have frequently been in such a situation, and really appreciate a well notated, neat, easy to follow score.

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, if I encountered this, I would clean my glasses and go for some more French Roast coffee. It is important that the performer be able to identify the beats easily and quickly. This is particularly important in cases where the performer has no opportunity to study the score in advance. I have frequently been in such a situation, and really appreciate a well notated, neat, easy to follow score.
    That's what I was afraid of! I had the melody in my head, and had trouble getting it just right on in Overture. I guess you know you're a bad notator if musicians would rather go for more coffee.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin

I agree. new version is more correct. Having the ties emphasizes the beats and makes it easier for a player to play liines such as that with lots of syncopation.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Is this better?

Thanks! I am un-noteworthy.
    You got it!

Richard Wayland

Go Back to forum