• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Keyswitching in Notation Programs

Share/Bookmark

Keyswitching in Notation Programs

For those using notation programs who are new to keyswitching, here's a visual aid which might help. Gary was kind enough to provide the link.

http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/NotationKeyswitch.pdf

The keyswitch notes are merely notes you enter in your score which are out of the instruments normal range and produce no sound in GPO. They exist in the first complete octave starting on C beneath an instruments lowest note. The example uses the Violin 1 KS combo patch. By default the initial sound this patch uses is the sus/short bow. If a different patch is needed insert the appropriate keyswitch before the note sounds.

To switch to pizz. in bar 2 of the example, place the F keyswitch just prior to the downbeat of bar 2. You can put a keyswitch into your score while another note is sustaining.

Placing the C keyswitch just before the downbeat of bar 3 changes the sound back to arco.

Now to hide the keyswitches. These were done in Finale. In example 1 the keyswitch notes were placed in layer 4. After all of the keyswitch notes have been added you can use a staff style to hide layer 4. It'll playback correctly and won't be confusing to look at.

Another way to use keyswitches is shown in example 2. Put all of the keyswitches on a separate staff. As long as the keyswitch staff is on the same midi channel as the primary staff, it'll playback correctly. Once finished, in Finale use the staff attributes to hide the keyswitch staff from view.

I believe in Sibelius you can use a similiar approach by using separate voices and hiding the keyswitch voice.

Hope this helps a little.
    Jeff

Re: Keyswitching in Notation Programs

Thanks Jeff for providing this!!

Having the visual example for it is very helpful!

Thanks again!!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Actually, there is a much better way to use keyswitches, at least in Sibelius, which will use hidden text preceded by a ~ to send notes. Highlight the place you want the keyswitch note to be, do control-T, and type ~N (for note on) followed by the note number, then a comma, then a velocity number (I use 127). For example, the keyswitch note for violins Sus+Short is ~N36,127. You can hide this text, which is above the staff, and avoid having additional staves, visible notes out of the instrument range, etc. You can also modify the technique words menu, as I have done, to show all the keyswitch notes for all instruments. I just control-T, right click the mouse, and select the articulation I need. Very easy and clean. By the way, the violins use keyswitch notes 36 thru 47, the violas use the same notes, the cellos use 24 thru 35, and the basses use 12 thru 19. I thought someone using Sibelius with GPO might find this helpful.

Jim Rowell

Jim,

I'm new to Sibelius, (thanks to Gary!) and I was wondering if you could also make a key switch using the expression markings. What I mean is, set it up to automatically with the key switch for the corresponding Pizzacato when you insert the text "Pizz" and like wise for "arco". I'm not sure if that's even possible, but it would be cool.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Overture SE, 3, and soon 4 can do this. Told you to get Overture.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    Overture SE, 3, and soon 4 can do this. Told you to get Overture.
    Joseph,
    I have some problems to make the KS work after installing the latest update (GPO and overture). Yesterday, the same notation would work from time to time and today, it does not work at all??? I use Mac G4, OSX 10.2.8.
    Can you explain the proper sequence of encoding a KS?
    By the way, I am a big fan of overture linked to GPO Studio. Exactly what I needed as a tool for composing and it sounds good and real too.
    Louis

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost
    Jim,

I'm new to Sibelius, (thanks to Gary!) and I was wondering if you could also make a key switch using the expression markings. What I mean is, set it up to automatically with the key switch for the corresponding Pizzacato when you insert the text "Pizz" and like wise for "arco". I'm not sure if that's even possible, but it would be cool.

Jonny
    It's not currently possible to do this, Jon. The ks pitches and the expression would have to be associated which you can't do.
    -Chad
    Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Hey guys,

That's cool. I'm not very familiar with Sibelius yet, but I'll figure it out.

Joseph, :-b ! Don't worry my friend, I still have Overture and I am still figuring it out!

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Cool Re: Keyswitching in Notation Programs

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rowell
    Actually, there is a much better way to use keyswitches, at least in Sibelius, which will use hidden text preceded by a ~ to send notes. Highlight the place you want the keyswitch note to be, do control-T, and type ~N (for note on) followed by the note number, then a comma, then a velocity number (I use 127).

Jim Rowell
    Just a little observation to this: it is very pactical but it has a downside. The note off message is missing. So, if you save the file to a MIDI file and import it in a sequencer you will have notes holding for 10'000 bars +?. Not so convenient for editing......If I am wrong, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOR
    Just a little observation to this: it is very pactical but it has a downside. The note off message is missing. So, if you save the file to a MIDI file and import it in a sequencer you will have notes holding for 10'000 bars +?. Not so convenient for editing......If I am wrong, please let me know.
    True, but it doesn't matter, since the keyswitched notes are out of the instruments' range and don't sound. Alternatively, you can always send a "note off" message, just substitute "O" for "N".

Jim Rowell

Go Back to forum