• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Examples of all-Brass fanfares

OT: Examples of all-Brass fanfares

I'm wondering if anyone has written an all-brass fanfare with either Sam Brass, VSL Brass or a combination of the two? I'm interested to see how people score these sorts of things with these libraries.

Thanks for reading.
    Steven J. Kukla

Re: OT: Examples of all-Brass fanfares

I can´t send you an example, because I don´t have the time.
    All I can say for good sounding fanfares is:

1. Try to avoid trumpet chords. Try to take these notes to other instruments. If you can´t avoid to use chords, then try to limit them to two notes instead of three and make the lower note quieter than the upper. Due to ram-economy, I haven´t tried yet to have another trumpet patch for the lower note. Perhaps this works better.

2. For really sweet SAM-Fanfares ( or Fanfares in general ? ), try to use the Horns in their upper register to double the trumpets. This sounds very bright and noble and has much punch.

3. Fanfare often sound like only upper register, but they aren´t. There´s no tuba involved in most cases, but all the other three ( trumpets, horns, bones ) are present, even if you don´t hear them at first glance.

4. Try to use some unusual chords. Odd combinations can sound very effective. All that sounds good is allowed. Use your ears, not your brain to do the lines

I hope, that this helps a bit, as effective Fanfares are hard to do, but ehm... effective

Re: OT: Examples of all-Brass fanfares

Thanks, that does help.

I'm trying to escape the stereotypical "horn fifths" and other intervallic stereotypes like 3rds and 6ths. I can't stand kitsch music, so I'm trying my best not to be hypocritical in writing any. I'm thinking more along the lines of something strictly based on line and canon rather than harmony, so again, your suggestions are helpful.

How on earth does Rimsky manage to keep the cheese out of Procession of the Nobles. Can't figure that one out.

Thanks again, and of course, more comments welcome and hoped for from any and everyone!
    Steven J. Kukla

Go Back to forum