• Register
  • Help

Topic: Basic Orch Percussion anomalies

Share/Bookmark

Question Basic Orch Percussion anomalies

(This is probably a TomH question).

How come, department:

The "Basic Orch Perc" patch goes from C2 to A#6 (the excellent new cymbal roll). Unfortunately (and I'm sure this is for compatibility reasons) the new Bass Drum "alternate" is at B0, which makes it problemmatic for 61-note keyboards (like mine). Do you think it would be possible to duplicate this B0 note up on B7 or B8 so that the total spectrum of the patch would be available on a 61-note keyboard?

thanks ... KevinKauai

Re: Basic Orch Percussion anomalies

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai

How come, department:

The "Basic Orch Perc" patch goes from C2 to A#6 (the excellent new cymbal roll). Unfortunately (and I'm sure this is for compatibility reasons) the new Bass Drum "alternate" is at B0, which makes it problemmatic for 61-note keyboards (like mine). Do you think it would be possible to duplicate this B0 note up on B7 or B8 so that the total spectrum of the patch would be available on a 61-note keyboard?

thanks ... KevinKauai
    Could you do something with transposing down 2 octaves to obtain the keyswitch, and enter your notation 2 octaves high? Sounds flakey, but might be worth a try. With most sequencers, this should be easy. But will it work?

Richard Wayland

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKauai

How come, department:

thanks ... KevinKauai
    This quote from Joseph Burrell:

"Or you can create a separate stave just for keyswitch notes. Just make sure that other stave sends to the same player that the keyswitch patches are routed to."

Using octave as my preceding post ought to solve the problem. Or so I think.

Richard Wayland

Kevin,

"Unfortunately (and I'm sure this is for compatibility reasons) the new Bass Drum "alternate" is at B0, which makes it problematic for 61-note keyboards (like mine). Do you think it would be possible to duplicate this B0 note up on B7 or B8 so that the total spectrum of the patch would be available on a 61-note keyboard?"

Yes, this choice was made for compatibility and, also, consistency - keep those notes side-by-side whenever possible. I suspect that separating left and right hand bass drum hits by several octaves with a ton of intervening sounds would result in some dreaded (by us!) Tech Support. It would be counterintuitive for most users (even though convenient for 61 key keyboards).

With the advent of keyboards with octave buttons it has become a very simple one click operation to shift things by an octave to access extra notes or keyswitches. I use a secondary keyboard (MK-449c) specifically for this and the task of assignable controllers. Before I acquired the MK-449c I used my sequencer to quickly shift octaves for such things.

Anyway, it's always a compromise when things spill outside the boundaries of the common 61 key controller. This was one of those times.

Tom

Go Back to forum