• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Midi File Crisis....

Question Midi File Crisis....

I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. I received a midi file emailed to me that came without an extension. I can only assume that it may have been a mac midi file (since this is how mac files usually appear). I can add a .mid or a .midi extension and it will play in winamp/media player, etc. but I cannot open it in Sonar. I also tried a midi file converter (incase it wasn't a type 0 or type 1) but the program told me that there was "extra unknown information at the beginning of the file" and won't convert it. This again, would be typical of a mac file because the extensions are embedded at the front of the file. So my question is........

How the heck can I open the file to see the midi data?

Maybe this is just a corrupt file, but the person has not emailed me back any information regarding the midi file yet. I am hoping to resolve this in the meantime. Any suggestions?

Re: Midi File Crisis....

seems to have some converter discussion there.

Thanks. This may be just what I need. I will check it out.

I keep reading this topic's title as "Midlife crisis"...

What's wrong with me?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    I keep reading this topic's title as "Midlife crisis"... What's wrong with me?

bleach your hair, buy a very fast sports car, and run off with very fast young women.... oh, and take 2 of these and call me in the morning

*print this for use as a Dr's excuse if need be

I think that the correct suffix for a Standard Midi File is .smf and not .mid

PC's are really odd when it comes to those things, perhaps you might want to try the .smf
    Music Composition for Feature Films, Television and Interactive Entertainment

Well, neither ".smf" or the filetype translator worked......I guess I will have to wait to see if I get another email back with a new midi file. Maybe it did come through corrupt...

I bet the file isn't a midi file, it could be the native program file. I've had this happen before.

The strange thing is that you can add a midi file extension to it and it will play in winamp, etc. It plays it midi too - not audio. Maybe it is the native format.....strange though.

If anybody wants to take a crack at opening it in their programs, pm me. I use Sonar on pc.

If you want to send it over to me - I will try opening here in Cubase SX (who's file extension is .cpr) to rule that out. I will also try it as a midi file just to be sure on my system as well - I know how frustrating it can be when you recieve a file like this.
    Alan Lastufka | www.BelaDMedia.com
    Producer/Artistic Design | Content Producer

20 Things

Go Back to forum