• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How to end the clipping?

Share/Bookmark

How to end the clipping?

In Cubase SX, with Kontakt full or Garritan I get clips on the short notes ...how to solve for that? Kind of stymied.

Mark

Re: How to end the clipping?

Quote Originally Posted by matolen
    In Cubase SX, with Kontakt full or Garritan I get clips on the short notes ...how to solve for that? Kind of stymied.

Mark
    In general, I think this sounds like a feedback problem. Check levels, everywhere that you can. If you have selected duplex, be sure your sound card can handle that. Then check latency & buffers. If that does not help, hurl a bolt of lightening at me! Then holler for Tom Hopkins!

Richard Wayland

Mark,

If you are talking about actually clipping the audio waveform on loud, short notes then the solution is simple: turn down the volume until you have the necessary headroom. This can be done at different places in the signal chain depending upon the location of the source of the clipping. The volume of the instrument itself can be reduced in the player or the full version of Kontakt with the graphic volume knob. In this case the level of all other instruments must be lowered an equivalent amount if balances are to be maintained. The sequencer mixing channel containing the player can also be used to lower the level of all instruments in a particular instance. Finally, the main output of the mixer can be used to lower the level of the entire mix. The volume of an instrument in a player (or Kontakt) can be optionally controlled by activating cc7 in the Options menu.

Tom

Its more like the full vvalue of the sixteenth notes (in this case) aren't fully expressed. that kind of clipping. is this still a latency problem perhaps?

Mark,

Thanks for the additional information. I would suggest investigating the "length" control (cc21). Try both increasing and decreasing the value of cc21; your perception of the problem could involve a note not decaying long enough or a note being cut off by the next note in a series. The latter will generally be improved by decreasing, rather than increasing, the value. A good example would be rapid brass double tongued notes. Shorter length values for just the rapid notes can often improve realism. As you can see, I'm still guessing at exactly what you are encountering. One thing that might help is to know exactly which instruments or instrument types you are talking about. Anyway, give the length suggestion a try.

Tom

I have experienced this trouble in all the instrument families, esp. woodwinds.
    I'll try your suggestion and see how it works out.
    Mark

Wink Re: How to end the clipping?

Thanks Tom! Your first response answered one of my questions...my clarinets were all clipping...gotta love this forum!

Question My horse for some CPU and memory!

Sort of on the same topic of "performance" ...

I recall Gary announcing that the DFD (direct from disk) option in the Kontakt player wasn’t expected to produce any great performance improvements in update to GPO, but I decided to try it anyway in hopes that I could squeeze out some additional performance. It’s sad to think that a Pentium-4 2.66 gHz processor in Windows XP with “only” 1 gig of RAM is an “under-sized” system, but it seems that way to the things that I am trying.

My most recent piece (in previews in the Demo section here) has only 3 instances of the Kontakt player (23 instruments) and is going absolutely frinking crazy with pops and crackles when I try to add the proverbial “straw” to my particular camel. Luckily, I can do an “audio export” in Cubase SX and this lets the processor work on the piece “as data” and the resultant 44.1kHz WAV file is intact. Unfortunately, this effectively means that I cannot play the piece before exporting it. In my most recent piece, there came a point where the "next" instrument line clearly broke the camel's back!

This got me to thinking about all the “work” that is going on with having various “active” windows open – for example, [1] 3 panels of the Kontakt player with the keyboard pressing gawd-whoever-knows which notes up and down, [2] the VST Instruments panel – with each instance of Kontakt/GPO blinking that little red “light” indicating activity, [3] the Cubase Mixer, etc.

The other “concern” about burning up CPU power are “control events”. If you do any amount of expressive “mod wheel” action, you will see dozens of events showing up in your MIDI editor. As someone (Danielle?) has pointed out before, a change in modulation BETWEEN notes doesn’t probably need to be 15 events, where the last will do. It seems to me that there should be an “option” in Cubase to do this (for example “save only most recent control event parameter during silence”) but I’ve not yet located it in the 2,000 pages of Cubase SX documentation.

CURRENT QUESTION: Should I de-install the DFD option in the Kontakt player? Is that likely to be a culprit or am I just STILL having the same RAM limitations?

tia … KevinKauai

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins
    Mark,

Thanks for the additional information. I would suggest investigating the "length" control (cc21). Try both increasing and decreasing the value of cc21; your perception of the problem could involve a note not decaying long enough or a note being cut off by the next note in a series. The latter will generally be improved by decreasing, rather than increasing, the value. A good example would be rapid brass double tongued notes. Shorter length values for just the rapid notes can often improve realism. As you can see, I'm still guessing at exactly what you are encountering. One thing that might help is to know exactly which instruments or instrument types you are talking about. Anyway, give the length suggestion a try.

Tom
    I want to try this cc21 business, but I dont have a midi keyboard or controller, is there a way to do this in Cubase or Kontakt software? All I know it that definately for brass and woodwinds, it will often not play all the notes in a sixteenth note triplet (even the brass "ag" or woodwind solos poop out) . I might get the first and last and the 2nd note is dropped. Help!

I have a 3.2 Pentium 4 w/ HT and 3G of RAM, btw.

Mark

I think I will post the piece I have, with the note drops and maybe I can get some more advice. I am stymied. Its the piece I'd like to send in to the GPO competition and I'd like it to be the best it can be via GPO...

Mark

Go Back to forum